Can't seem to find cash tickets, but standard award available...

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Singapore Flyer, Jul 5, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am looking at 5 RT tickets around Valentine's day (+/- 2 days) from HKG to SIN and can't find any available revenue tickets. It won't load for me...but i can see standard awards and looked at the seat map, there appears a ton of E seats. I'll call in if it doesn't resolve itself soon, but wondered if anyone else has seen this or know why.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you looking on the UA website or some third party booking website?

In fact, can UA sell HKG-SIN as a standalone cash ticket? Or must this be purchased through SQ etc.? I'm questioning whether UA operates this route (I think the answer is yes) and whether they have rights to serve local traffic here versus taking passengers connecting from the USA etc.

UA would, however, be able to let you book an award ticket since they're effectively buying you a ticket on a partner airline such as SQ.

In fact, even if you can fly UA, why not take SQ or CX?

Counsellor likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, UA operates it and has local traffic rights on the route. The issue may be one of published fares or quirks in the inventory available. Of course, if UA won't show the route at all in a revenue search then that means no expert mode to see all the fare buckets easily.

Counsellor likes this.
  4. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, UA does operate the flight. I've taken the flight two times before separate from another reservation. Always cash. I've always search and have bought it on the UA site. The times aren't great but it is a decent price and I still have quite a bit credit to use. When I look at the calendar it is only around those few days that there is no price showing and thus it doesn't allow me to buy a ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

5. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you can see the award seats, one option is to select them as if you plan to use them as awards and continue through the booking process all the way up to the page that asks you to confirm your purchase. On that page will be two or three offers above the schedule which will say something like, "Buy these tickets in Economy now for $XXX.XX," and "Buy these tickets now in Business now for $XXX.XX." Sometimes they throw in a third option for refundable options, or nonrefundable options with more flexibility in between.

While you won't be able to see the fare buckets this way, you will at least be able to see a quote, and it is usually their lowest offer, as they would rather have your money than your miles. If you don't like the prices, just cancel out or leave the page. Until you confirm and pay the taxes, you have not booked anything.

Singapore Flyer and WilliamQ like this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, I just was quoted $451/person on a U fare for HKG-SIN on 14 Feb at the united.com site.

Singapore Flyer likes this.