Can't pick available paid seats?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by LIH Prem, May 15, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    I booked an award ticket using my miles for my daughter, and though when you attempt to book the same flight via a normal rez, it shows paid seats like 22H/J and 26H/J and some middle aisles available for a payment next to an open middle, for $67 on AA6, I can't choose those seats on my daughter's rez even though I'm willing to pay for them. Reservations could only tell me she sees the same thing. She tried to pick those seats and and her system refused saying they weren't eligible.

I have no status on AA, daughter and friend don't even have AAdvantage numbers.

Any advice? Even calling is painful (they claim they will call you back using their automated system, but even that failed tonight. After several hours I never received a callback, so I called again.)

I think the way AA does it must drive kettles away, there's literally no two seats together available without paying for at least one of the seats, but in this case, you can't even do that. At least on the US Air segment, there's plenty of normal seats available.

-David

2. PosauneGuy

PosauneGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, AA won't let you purchase a preferred seat when you're on an award ticket. Best bet is to check at 24 hours before departure time, when AA opens up many of the seats that they haven't "sold." I've usually been able to find seats together at that time. Also, check the seat maps periodically. Other time to check would be at T-100 and T-72, when AA starts processing upgrades; though, most of those who get upgraded are likely sitting in preferred seats.

LIH Prem likes this.
  3. npombo

npombo Active Member

Status Points:
    I don't know how AA works, but I had a similar problem some months ago, even though was not an award ticket, I bought a normal ticket and when it came to select the seat, the plane was completly full. I called AA and they told me my seat was given at the airport (that was normal so I didn't select my seat) I came to the airport the day of my trip and I did my check in at the kiosk, and my boarding pass didn't came with a seat, neither I had the option to select one. I ask they guy who usually helps people at the kiosks, and he told me my seat was given at the gate, and yes, 20min before boarding, I had my seat. Usually this happens only for people working for airlines, and use standby's tickets (because I work for an airline and I deal with it) but first I don't work for AA, and second mine was a normal ticket.

I have a normal AAdvantage status and I know I have some priority because of my CITIBANK AAdvantage credit card, but thats all. I didn't like at all the fact my seat was given 20min before the flight.

LIH Prem likes this.
  4. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I'll keep checking.

web support said something similar, mentioned "reduced mileage awards not eligible for main cabin extras". What does "reduced mileage awards" refer to? The "saver" award itself or the 10% miles rebate from holding the credit card?

I thought the point of main cabin extras was to drive additional revenue? I'm willing to pay, they have no way to take it.

-David

PosauneGuy likes this.
  5. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    One thing I find offensive is that they show you those available seats during the booking process but after you finalize the booking they are no longer available to you.

To illustrate this, make a dummy booking using points, and select the award, you can select the flight, then expand it to show flight details and click on "available seats" it shows you the seats for purchase including preferred seats with the prices even though it won't let you purchase them later in the process.

Isn't that a form of bait and switch?

The web site at that point knows you have selected the milesaaver award level and it's showing you unavailable seats to you as available. Then later when you finalize the booking those preferred seats are no longer available to you.

-David

6. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    FYI, Ms. Rubin says they are aware of the issue and are working on it.

-David

7. PosauneGuy

PosauneGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Reduced mileage award refers to SAAver awards (as opposed to AAnytime awards). It does seem crazy that AA will not allow award travelers to purchase preferred seats. It is a lost revenue opportunity.

LIH Prem likes this.
  8. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    yeah, that was my point. I mean after purposely not showing kettles any decent seat availability at all (literally just a few middles and 2 separate row aisle seats next to the rear lav even when there's a lot of other non-preferred seats that are available) you would think the next step would be to offer them a better seat for purchase. But not on an award ticket I guess.

Does it work differently if you are on an AAnytime award?

Ms. Rubin mentioned tax issues in her reply to me, but I don't understand how that would be different between a mile SAAver and an AAnytime award.

-David