"Can't confirm RPU upgrade until 96 hours out"

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by TravelerRob, Sep 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Getting really frustrated with United again. Had to make three phones call to the 1K desk this morning after an upcoming IAD-SEA flight went to R=1 and I'm waitlisted with an RPU.

First two agents just couldn't even see R=1 on the flight. Third agent confirmed R=1 but then wouldn't process the upgrade and put me on hold for 5 minutes. She came back and said "my support desk" said you can't confirm the upgrade until 96 hours out. After arguing with her for 10 seconds and realizing it was a futile attempt I told her to just cancel the RPU request, which she did. Before we even hung up the phone I had processed a new request and the IAD-SEA leg upgraded immediately. Gee...

Why is the 1K desk going down hill so quickly? Usually I get decent to really good service but three calls over a simple reservation request is absurd.

-Rob

NYCUA1K and flyforawg like this.
  2. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only time I've gotten it to clear, I've said, "So basically, if someone newly applied an RPU/GPU while I'm on the phone with you, they'd nab it out from under me because the space is currently available."

So. Frustrating.

NYCUA1K and flyforawg like this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure whether it is a new feature designed to frustrate or a bug, but upgrades not clearing when there is R space availability seems to be happening with greater frequency than I can recall. I reported the following just this week:
    Fortunately, the 1K desk agents I reached were able to deliver for me...

4. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    We all know the seat map is absolutely no indicator of fare bucket availability. Quite often, especially international flights, you will find 10+ seats unassigned and the flight is J1 or J2 because that many people haven't selected seat assignments. Did you check if your flight actually had R space open?

In my situation the availability was there and I still got three bogus responses from agents.

Now I'm waiting for my original RPU to be redeposited.

Thanks.

-Rob

IDGflygirl likes this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    All true, but seat maps are a quick gauge, and part of my point was precisely that I did not have to check the R space. If nothing is shown as available in the seat maps, then quite likely searching R-space might not turn up anything, but one should definitely still search the R space. For me, it worked twice based on just looking at the seat map, and then calling in when I saw several still available.

flyforawg likes this.
  6. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    The new "friendly skies" :mad:

7. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I guess I don't get your point. Right now there are 16 open BF seats on my upcoming SFO-HKG flight. I haven't bothered calling UA because there is *no* R space so I know my upgrade can't be confirmed.

Your posts imply that because the seat map shows open seats that "R" space should be available so everyone should call UA and ask for an upgrade?!

Maybe being with 24 hours carries some different rules like "all fare buckets open at the 24 hour mark". I think that used to be true but definitely that has not been true lately on UA.

-Rob

8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The point is quite simple actually. Below is the seat map of my November NRT-LAX "Dreamliner" flight on which I am waitlisted for BF, in spite of the fact that only 3 seats of 24 are currently shown as occupied.
    B787-SEATMAP.jpg Currently R-space shows no availability, meaning that UA still hopes to sell more premium seats but they do not yet know how many. Do I call now, nearly 2 months before the trip, to request an upgrade because I seat empty seats on the map? Of course not. Now, supposed that within 24 of departure, 11 of those seats are still shown as unoccupied and I receive an email telling me that my upgrade had not cleared and that I had been moved to the departure management list. This was the situation under which I have called twice now without checking R availability and gotten an agent to upgrade me. Was there availability when he or she did this? I have no idea because I took the shortcut of just checking the seat map and it worked, twice.

So, the point is that the only time it makes sense to try one's luck based on availability on the seat map is within the 24 window, after one had been moved to the DM list...but like I said: If nothing is shown as available on the seat map, then, quite likely, searching R-space might not turn up anything, but one should definitely still search the R space. I think that does cover all the bases...;)

mre5765 likes this.
  9. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm willing to bet R space was open on the flights that the two upgrades came through on. Once the 24 hour mark hits all J inventory goes into R bucket except in very rare circumstances. My point is the seat map is utterly meaningless. There are a lot of upgrades/purchases that may have happened already for people who do not have seat assignments yet. The seat map will show 8 open seats but inventory might even be J1D0 type of thing.

I have SFO-HKG segments coming up next week that I'm waitlisted for. 15 seats open on both flights across the big pond. But I'm also an ExpertFlyer subscriber so I have alerts set for "R" space. Usually a few days before UA will release a couple of "R" seats and I'll grab one immediately. If that fails then at the 24 hour mark most of the seats will go to "R" class and I'll grab one then. But either way I will know "R" inventory well before I call UA, even if EF doesn't give me an alert.

Thanks,
    Rob

10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is clear that you are missing it completely and I no longer know how to make the point other than to say that the only thing that is meaningless is your statement that "My point is the seat map is utterly meaningless" because recent evidence contradicts it. Based solely on availability on the seat maps, I called the 1K desk, pointed out to them that the seat maps showed availability and I got upgraded. Whether or not R space was available on those flight is immaterial because I had already been moved to the DM list, suggesting the system thought that there was no R. It may have been a bug, but we will never know because I did not bother checking R space; the seat map was all I checked so it is not meaningless because it worked...TWICE in a row.
    Checking R space any which way is just fine. The scenario that I described is valid only within the 24 hr window, after one had been moved the DM list. That is when availability of a lot of seats on the seat map may be useful because there are less than 24 hr before departure, so that if a lot of seats are still showing up as unoccupied, then there is a high likelihood that they are available. That was my calculation and it worked..TWICE in a row.

I just said exactly what I had said in the previous post, which means that unless there is a new angle, we have probably beaten this one to death.

mre5765 likes this.
  11. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No, I'm understanding you completely. I just disagree. The seat map is not an indicator of any fare bucket availability. Plain & simple. I get what you're saying though and I'm glad it worked out for you both times.

I think a simple analogy is pointing at a seat map in coach and seeing lots of open seats and then calling UA and asking why "N" class is not showing up online and instead only "Y" fares at super expensive prices are. Seat map is not indicative of fare bucket availability has been my point all along.

Thanks,

-Rob

12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good bye, Rob.

Good luck.