Can't book standard award and waitlist for saver award?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by LIH Prem, Jun 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    I booked a standard award, and tried to call to waitlist for the saver award, which was very easy to do on PMUA, and a good strategy for 1Ks.

2 agents told me the same thing, that I can't do it anymore. I can only w/l for higher categories now?

Is that correct? Why would they impose a rule like that??

I can put in alerts on expert flyer, but that's not foolproof either.

-David

2. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Saver F is available on the first leg. Can they book a mixed award into saver F for the first leg, amd standard Y (w/l for saver F/Y) on the 2nd leg?

-David

3. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes they can -- or different classes.

4. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    They said they could not. A-B-C, saver F is available A-B, no saver availability on B-C. I am booked in std Y on both legs now.

I'm guessing you could do it if there was some class of saver availability on both legs, but that's not the case here.

-David

5. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I misunderstood what you were asking, I thought you were asking about saver one way and standard the other, not saver on part of the segments in one direction. Sorry.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, because they can make people pay more for awards would be one reason. Because they hate their customers would be another reason. I'm sure there are others.
    No.

7. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for your reply.

It's not just a limitation of their current software, it's an intentional policy? That's the real question.

-David

8. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely an intentional policy. While wait listing for a cheaper award would be nice, it defeats the purpose of having tiered awards. Why would anyone pay for a standard award when they can always wait list for a saver award? You can reissue your tickets for a fee to get the lower award if inventory opens up, just like you could re issue a revenue ticket for a fee if prices drop(of course this rarely makes sense on a revenue ticket because of the crazy fees, but such is life...).

genemk2 likes this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Always happy to help, though I thought you had me on ignore. ;)

10. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks again.

I got an alert overnight (experflyer) that saver F opened on the lax-ogg segment, so I went to change the award online, and it would only let me change Standard Y to other Standard Y flights. That, I think is ridiculous. I had to call, and the agent made the change for me. (standard Y to Saver F now.) I hesitated on cancel/rebook.

Anyway, the problem with this flight is that it's the Sunday before a holidaw week, so the fares are too expensive to buy, the cheapest fare is currently > 1k.

-David

11. RNE

RNE Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am non-Premier and have a standard award booking in coach. Can I wait-list that for a saver award in BusinessFirst?

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    AFAIK that is not possible.