Can't book online, can't reach an agent - how does UA expect to stay in business?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by estnet, Mar 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't book online so call the 1k number, doesn't recognize my phone so asks for ff #. Okay - after 20 minutes get a live person - but she's domestic and I need international (wasn't asked b4), nice lady says she'll transfer me and stay on the line until it's answered (which makes no sense since taking her away from helping someone else doesn't do me any good and harms someone else).
    I REALLY HOPE SHE DIDN'T, because after 72 minutes I gave up.

HiIslands likes this.
  2. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What are you trying to book? Can you book segment by segment?

3. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Convert their phone lines to 900 numbers?

DCA1K, goalie and harvson3 like this.
  4. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why would I want to do anything more with UA? If they had me on hold for 72 minutes - not knowing what I wanted and WITH status how do they expect anyone who has a choice to chose them and not just book with an airline that has a working website and people who answer the phones?

5. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    :D

6. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Geez, the site was down for a while earlier, the phone lines got backed up as a result. It happens, no need to go :rolleyes: over it. Works fine for me now.

7. OnePassFan

OnePassFan Member

Status Points:
    I had a similar experience. The website wouldn't work and I called the reservation line. The pre-recorded message said my hold time would be 25-30 minutes. I waited 5 minutes; then, I used another phone line in my home. That second call went straight through to an agent. That was a big surprise for me. From now on, when I call and the wait time is unacceptable. I'll use another line and call again and again until it goes straight through, while I'm waiting "on hold" on the first line.

8. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well that explains the problems I've been having for the last few weeks NOT

karenkay likes this.
  9. karenkay
    Original Member

karenkay Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't give them any ideas. ;)

chrislacey, estnet and goalie like this.
  10. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, I was just offering to help.

desamo likes this.
  11. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    The OP doesn't want help, doesn't care that many of us have had completely drama-free experiences with UA post-merger. It's just the same old :rolleyes: stuff you see on TOBB at toxic levels right now.

I've booked quite a few flights, some complicated, since the merger. Some award, some not.

12. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    desamo - I don't think you know what I want.
    The question I posed still remains - some will remain loyal to a company that didn't plan well, others will not. that's life. Only time will tell how the mismanaged merger affects overall business.
    I've made my own decision, clearly others will do what works for them.

13. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I think there's something funky going on with the phone system. I have also experienced calling and getting long hold times presented. I hang up and call again and most of the times they pick up immediately.

I know it's in here somewhere, but if someone has an idea how to update your profile correctly for recognition, it would be awesome to share it here.

I understand that folks are really frustrated these days, in my experience, it's getting better, especially on new reservations made after 3/3. I don't think anyone expected this to go by with no problems at all. It's not realistic. Could the management done a better job? Absolutely. Showing up at the airport to support the agent and customers by showing their face is something I would do. Be more apologetic and hand out compensation immediately when things gets really messed up (when upgrades and seat assignments get lost). Every gate agent, phone agent and FA should have sky kits, it works alot better than "$misek happens, deal with it". It would diffuse frustrating situations like the OP experienced. It would have helped the folks on the front lines who have to fend for the "people in the corner offices of a sky scraper" who came up with this plan ;)

As expected, they chose the "CO we don't care" avenue instead. Sure, I understand the complexity and sure, it's not the employees fault. But one thing is damn sure: it's definitely not the customers fault.

14. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    This may explain the inability to book. In short, if your firewall or proxy is preventing certain kinds of redirects, you may get that error, or at least that's a current hypothesis. (Mine doesn't, but I have seen the issue intermittently anyway.)

15. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    If it helps any, no one responds to messages online either :) Not even an acknowledgement that they received my message.

16. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm making this up, but I wonder if they don't have some sort of call prioritization where they give priority to people with aborted calls? (under the assumption that those people are less happy than me who keeps sitting through 30 minute calls)