Cannot OLCI if first segment of ticket isn't on UA?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Aug 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a flight coming up tomorrow where the outbound is on Airtran and the return is on UA. Both are within 24 hrs. One ticket. I am checked in on Airtran. United refuses to let me check in with this error:

"united.com check-in is not currently offered for flights that are operated by another carrier. Please proceed to the airport for check-in."

Tried the website and the iOS app, same error (so presumably backend).

Any workaround?

2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you using the AirTran PNR or the United PNR?

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The United PNR.

4. Sunshine7

Sunshine7 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Experienced something similar on codeshares coming back from Europe where the first flight is with the *A partner. Checking in with them gets me checked into all of my flights. Maybe try calling AirTran to see if they can confirm this? I just know that UA couldn't access the second leg /UA flight because the first leg was in a different airline's system (which is why I now pay close attention to the confirmation no. for UA and for the codeshare).

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So for what it's worth, when I got off the AirTran flight this morning in SNA, I was able to check in and print a boarding pass using one of the self-check-in machines at SNA.

6. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Apologies for posting to an old thread but I'm sure that this will continue to be relevant. Try checking in with the carrier that operates your first flight; if all segments are part of the same ticket, you should be checked in for your UA flight as well.

Example: first leg was on LH connecting to UA. I did OLCI through LH and received BPs for both flights, and confirmed That I was checked in for UA flight by seeing myself on the checked in list on the UA mobile app. A word of caution though; you'll need to find a kiosk or UA agent to give you a "real" UA BP when you reach the connecting airport from which your UA flight departs. Whenever I show a UA agent a "foreign" BP they frown and give me a UA one.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    In addition to needing a new BP if you are needing to waitlist for any upgrade-eligible segments then you won't be added until you interact with a UA employee. When an OAL system checks you in for a flight it doesn't trigger that function the way the UA systems do.