Candlewood Times Square - 5,000 points + $60 in December

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by tom911, Jul 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just booked 3 nights here in December in conjunction with an AA award ticket. Lowest rate on their website for my dates was $306 prepaid ($310 AAA). Checked some other dates in December and also found rooms available. Can also redeem at 10,000 points and $40, or for 15,000 points, per night. Always try to get back before Christmas to take in the sights.

NYBanker and snap like this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ahhh...so you're the guy who always comes to the city in December. Walks slowly. Stops to look at tall buildings. Waits on the curb till the sign says to walk... ;)

Haha... Visitors are always welcome to the Big Apple. The weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas, and the last few days of June/early July (right after school lets out), always are the most crowded.

3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

tom911 and NYBanker like this.
  4. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm just not any visitor, though. I was born in New York City and have relatives all over the Tri-State area, and it's been a ritual since we moved to CA that I go back every year or two to get my batteries recharged. I do enjoy getting back and seeing the windows on Fifth Avenue, the tree at Rockefeller Center, and even trudging through Macy's and watching the ice skaters in Central Park.

One year I brought one of the nephews back with me for the Thanksgiving parade and we shuttled back and forth from Hyatt Jersey City. I'd much rather stay in Manhattan but hotel rates there tend to be outside my budget (last summer I stayed at the Hilton Newark). Just a few years ago I was staying at the YHA at 103rd and Amsterdam. Now that I have lots of hotel points that option is off the table.

Last year I came back the week before Christmas (Dec 22-23) when I found a Holiday Inn Express in Manhattan for $99 a night. Even found last minute award availability to fly there.

One photo from Rockefeller Center last year and the rest are linked HERE.

[​IMG]

NYBanker and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ahhhh....special dispensation for you then...you may use the New Yorkers lanes! ;)

Depending on your points budget, you might check out the St Regis in NY, which is one of the better points valuations out there at 5-6 cents per point. The other idea to offer up is the Ritz Carlton in White Plains. Rooms there are often in the low $200 price point. Same sort of train ride as Newark, but a much nicer property than anything in Newark. The Hyatt in Greenwich might be worth considering too.

Great photos, too!

6. OCP
    Original Member

OCP Silver Member

Status Points:
    The hotel rate is 15K per night (or 5K + $60). Although this is a great rate over paying cash, this is available every month that I checked for certain dates (Aug, Sept, Oct) so the title is a bit misleading. This is not a sale - it's the regular rate using points

7. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It reads "December" as that is when I wanted to travel to New York City and those are the dates I checked. The tree lighting in Rockefeller Center is on November 30th this year and I timed my visit after that occurs.

I'm glad to see the same points and cash rate is available year round.

8. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I try to stay close to $100 a night when I can as I'm usually out traveling 3-4 months a year (next week in Shanghai for 10 nights). I don't have an SPG account to consider the St. Regis. I think the Hilton in Newark on my last stay was $109. That works as the PATH train is literally across the street at Newark Penn Station.

9. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought is was 25k now .

10. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stand corrected its only 15k. A deal indeed!