Candlewood Suites @ Wake Forest (NC)

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by viguera, Jan 3, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Man, it's been a crazy weekend, and this was my second hotel stay of the year (on the second day of the year)...

Anyway, this was the most eventful property of this trip so far, and not necessarily in a good way.

First off I booked the best available rate, which was actually cancelable up to 6pm the day of arrival, which I always find ridiculously generous but convenient in case my plans change. Either way, I noticed they ran an authorization against my credit card at 9am, which I found odd since I could have still chosen to cancel without penalty.

Regardless, upon checking in we received two smoking rooms, which I'm going to attribute to some kind of issue with my profile, although I've never requested a smoking room in my life.

A trip down to the front desk results in two new rooms on the 3rd floor (hotel has 4) and one of them won't open because they use the funky big latches that sometimes spring back and block the door. At first we thought the room was occupied, but it turned out to be just the latch.

Housekeeping showed up shortly afterwards to fix the issue -- which apparently involved jamming something to close the latch and allow the door to open. It was somewhat disturbing to see how quickly they did this, not that I had much faith in hotel locks to being with.

The process had to be repeated again later that night when we returned from dinner, since apparently the latch had decided to lock us out again.

We later got an apology letter from the front desk and a goodie bag with a couple of sodas, a bottle of water and some snacks.

Latch problems aside the property itself is nice. It seems well kept, nothing out of place or looking terribly old. They are designed as an extended stay property though so you get a kitchenette in the room (complete with a proper sink, a few dinnerware items and even a couple of bags of popcorn to get you started :) )

One thing I did notice - and something I haven't seen in a while - was a written request from the manager for "10" scores in the survey. They said that everyone at the hotel is "personally affected" by the responses and request that you address the manager directly via email if you have any issues. This is somewhat conflicting because obviously the purpose of the survey is to make sure the corporate folks are aware of your experiences during the stay, but at the same time you kind of understand what the folks that work at the property are referring to when it comes to the impact of surveys.

Other that that, it was a perfectly reasonable stay. The WiFi was decent if not blazing fast, the towels were nice enough, no leaks or crazy noisy ice machines (probably because everyone has an ice maker in their fridge).

Flyer1976, Kalboz, Newscience and 2 others like this.