Cancun Timeshares

Discussion in 'Timeshares' started by KyRoamer, Mar 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Confession -- I own two,Week 52 at the Royal Mayan and Week 51 at the Royal Sands. Just maintenance costs over $900 per year. The Royal Sands unit costs about $25,000 on the secondary market. I am a sucker!!!!

My partner loves Cancun and Playa del Carmen . He goes to each at least one a year. Rental runs him between $1,200 and $2,400 depending on week and location selected. This year he spent New Year's inCcancun for $1,500. That means the owner netted $600 on his $25,000 investment.

If anyone is interested in renting Cancun timeshares, look at tug2.net's classified. I have no interest there beyond advertising my units for rent from time to time.

Timeshares are the best way to do Cancun assuming that you do not want to stay at an all inclusive. I never do as Cancun has too many great restaurants to have my choices limited. For heavy drinkers though, all inclusives can be good deals, prepaid (not free) drinks and a short walk home.

The Royal Resorts timeshare villa consists of a one bedroom suite and lock-off bedroom. The suite has a fully equipped kitchen, large living room and deck as well as a king bedded bedroom and bath.. Check them out at www.royalresorts.com.

Now renting weeks from owners usually saves you money over renting from the resort. But if you want other than a Saturday to Saturday week, consider direct rentals. A friend is going down next week and wants just four days. i believe the suite costs him about $210 a day, less than a nice hotel. they rented via the resort after checking pricing on Expedia.

Renting from owners can be a hassle. if you want to do it at the Royals, I'll be glad to share some tips. One tip for sure is to get a price from the resort first. This past New Year's week my friend was about to pay $1,800 for a Villa - usually a steal. The resort was running $1,600 specials. He got the owner down to $1,500.

I have rented timeshares for years. When traveling with kids, nothing beats separate bedrooms, a kitchen and a living room play area.

So use timeshares. If you decide to buy, be careful and investigate. The Forums at tug2.net are good starting points.

If you think I am a shill for the Royal resorts, I am not but could be. They are Cancun's best timeshares. Check them out on trip advisor if you need convincing.

gemac likes this.
  2. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not going to Cancun this year and have rented (I hope!) my week 51 but have a week 52 (December 31 to January 7) available at the Royal Mayan for just $1,500. If interested, start a conversation with me.

3. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    My week 52 is no longer available. Both week 51at the Royal Sands and week 52 at the Royal resorts are available for 2012. To check on the resort, go to http://www.royalresorts.com

My penthouse units are available at $1,800 per week. If however the resort again offers lower pricing, I will match whatever it is offering. At the Royal Sands where all units are good, beachfronts and penthouse units a little better, renting direct gives you no choice of unit. At the Royal Mayan you could get a unit in building H overlooking the parking lot. rent from an owner and know what you are getting.