Cancelling reward stay booked using Hilton AMEX discount?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by DeacFlyer1, Oct 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    A couple months ago I booked a stay at the Hilton Arc de Triomphe in Paris using points. Normally a 4 night stay would be 200,000 points (50k/night x 4 nights) but I booked using the 4 night chart that I have access to through the Hilton AMEX, so got the 4 nights for a total of 145,000 points, which I thought was pretty good!

But anyway, long story short, we may have to cancel the trip, and I've never cancelled a Hilton award before, so I didn't know if there were any penalties associated with this (something similar to the "mileage re-deposit fee" that the airline is going to charge me when I cancel our flights), or if there were any cancellation penalties specifically because I booked the discount rate through the AMEX. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you notice any verbiage in the reservation about a cancellation policy? I know most award stays can be cancelled with no penalty -- unless there's a specific "cancel by" date.

Even then, depending on your status you might be able to call and get the points restored after you cancel -- usually a call to the Diamond Desk can take care of that (provided you're Diamond, that is :) ).

3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is no cancellation fee or penalty for an AXON. The points should show up in your account within minutes.

Not sure what the "even then" phrase above is supposed to mean. If you attempt to cancel after the cancel date you will forfeit the points and MAY have the listed rate on your confirmation deducted from your CC.