Cancelling Qantas FF Booking

Discussion in 'Qantas Airways | Frequent Flyer' started by Toula, May 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Due to a change of plans I had to cancel a booking I had made with Qantas for a frequent flyer flight. I was surprised 24 hours later to see the booking still appeared on my upcoming flights along with a second reservation.

I called Qantas and managed to speak to someone who had a very poor command of English. I had to explain 3 times that I was querying a cancellation I had made and it was a real struggle to comprehend what he was saying.

The bottom line was he told me there was a cancellation cost of 5k points per person, which I had been told previously. He then explained that it would be 12 working days before the points could be refunded to my account and the taxes refunded to my credit card. Apparently the second reservation showing under my upcoming bookings is a faux booking that Qantas put on the account to extend it by 30 days which I assume is linked to the cancellation date.

Just checking that this sounds like normal procedure. I'm not in the position of needing to reuse the points at this time. For the life of me I can't believe that it can possibly take anyone 12 working days to return points to an account. I pity the poor sod who might be wanting to reuse the points for a new booking.

2. below sea level
    Original Member

below sea level Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've only cancelled a QF frequent flyer flight once and it was several years ago, but that long process does sound familiar. In in doubt call again and speak to a different person.

3. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just came online to see what date I posted my whinge about Qantas taking so long to refund my points and here it is 25+ calendar days and the points have not been returned to my account.

I will have to give Qantas a call this week to find out what lame excuse they can give for their incompetence.