Cancelling Platinum Delta SkyMiles Card

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by OnlyOne, Mar 2, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any thoughts from the board as to whether I'm making a poor decision? I didn't receive any retention offers from AMEX and I don't put much spend on it beyond the occasional Delta ticket. I think I might actually come out better with the PRG for those rare occasions when I do have to pay to fly Delta. Am I missing anything or is it better to just cut the ties that bind?

2. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd cancel. Better off with a Barclay arrival if you're only flying DL occasionally. Skypesos aren't worth it to me anyway.

If you use the lounge benefit on the card, factor that in, but would take fairly regular use of the lounge with this card to make it worth it.

MX likes this.
  3. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reply, awg. I'm not really utilizing the lounge benefit as I'm usually flying AA these days. I'm reluctant to give up the certificate, but of the two I've gotten, I was only able to use one (horrible redemption) and the other expired.

MX likes this.
  4. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did I miss something? I don't know they DL Plat Amex card had lounge benefits, other than a discount on membership? I think it's the Reserve card which gets you into the lounge, or the regular Amex platinum card.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Reserve card gives SC access when flying DL. Other DL AmEx cards give the right to enter a SC for $29.

The regular AmEx Platinum charge card gives SC lounge access when you have a same day flight on DL, not including codeshares. It also gets you a free PP Select membership for other lounges, not including UA.

flyforawg likes this.
  6. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    ^ Yeah, what she said.

I feel the value would be the difference between the $29 and the regular cost of entry. You'd have to use it a bunch of times to make up for the fee, but don't see that being possible. I could concoct some wild scenarios where this might be possible but given the OP is an infrequent DL flyer, it's unlikely. Having a hard time envisioning many airports these days where one could conveniently access a DL club if not actually flying DL.

SFO springs to mind if you don't mind schlepping over to whatever terminal you're really flying out of or if you're actually flying US, etc. out of T1. In the not too distant future, that club will be airside and much less attractive an option. Based on reviews I've read, I'd be skeptical it would be worth it.