Cancelling my AMEX PRG... Critique my new plan..

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by rajuabju, Nov 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    After a lengthy battle with AMEX over them not honoring the 10k per authorized user added promo, I'm going to cancel my PRG card in January before the annual fee comes due. That was the final straw for me (the other, and more important one being the loss /devalue of key MR transfer partners).

I'd like to have some feedback on my plan to transfer spend that was previously on my Premier Gold to other CC's... and if anyone has better suggestions, I'm open to getting new cards.

1) All my travel spend (including airfare) going to my Chase Sapphire. Instead of getting 3x points /w Amex on air, I'm getting 2x /w Chase on everything else (including rental cars, hotel etc).

2) All restaurant and non-Grocery food also shifted to Sapphire for the 2x points

3) All groceries shifted to my Amex Hilton (6x) points. Are there any other cards for Groceries I might consider?

4) All gasoline remains on my PenFed Visa 5% CB as before

Overall, between items 1, 2 and 3, I'm shifting roughly $90k/year in spend away from the Gold card (of course some will remain with the Hilton Amex).

Anyone have any other suggestions I might look into?

uggboy, JohnDeere19 and somempire like this.
  2. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd be wary about putting too much on the Hilton AMEX unless you are the type that plans your travels well in advance as from what I see from the new redemption rates, if you are a spur of the moment person you will get burnt.

YULtide, uggboy and JohnDeere19 like this.
  3. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. With those hellish changes that Hilton implemented, I wouldn't put anything more into their program.

For groceries, the AmEx Blue Cash Preferred gives a straight 6% cashback on supermarkets. That's pretty amazing albeit not points earning.

uggboy likes this.
  4. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:
    did u try amex twiter ?,i too had prblm with 10k adt'l user -- told no!! 4 times-- on twitter got results first time--heard other people got same results
    hope this helps

5. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since you are planning on moving out of AMEX MR and more into Chase UR, why not add the Freedom card and use its quarterly bonuses to earn 7500UR points per quarter for $1500 spent?

If you plan it out correctly, $6000 of credit card spend can translate to 30K UR points, plus it's a fee-free card.

6. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is a very good idea. I've already app'd 3 Chase cards this year, but by January when I'm ready to cancel the Amex, more than 6 months will have passed on 2 of the 3 apps. Thanks!

7. I love meaty questions like this.
    1) There are various good choices here, your plan sounds as good as any.
    2) I would do the Citi Forward card with 5x thank you points on restaurants, bookstores and Amazon
    3) For low volume of supermarkets use, I would agree (some people would say the Blue Cash Everyday at 3%, but I would prefer 6 Hilton points). For high volume, I would compare the Hilton Surpass at 9 points per dollar with the Amex Blue Cash Preferred at 6% and both with annual fees. Those two would depend on if you consider Hilton points worth more or less than 1 cent each. I wrote a post about it a some months ago and concluded that if you are able to use the points at high end Hiltons at prime times it is worth it, though for many, the Blue Cash Preferred will deliver better value. There has certainly been some devaluation of Hilton due to the flag allowing hotels to make almost all their rooms into premium rooms and charge a boatload of points for them. All that said, I have had great luck with hilton, but I am only one person. Personally, I think the issue is overblown, but I would keep a careful eye on it in case it gets worse.
    4) Reasonable