Cancelling card before 1 yr anniversary

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by beevesdoopie, Feb 2, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. beevesdoopie

beevesdoopie Active Member

Is it generally a bad idea to cancel a card before 1 year anniversary is up? There is annual fee but waived for the first year... The new credit card act is asking me to wait a full 12 months before I can downgrade...
    wharvey likes this.
  2. servo

servo Silver Member

Not typically BAD, per se. I will typically call around the 9 month mark for most cards and act as if I'm going to cancel the card. If they offer a bonus that requires some spending over the next few months, then I have time to earn that bonus before canceling the card around the 11-12 month mark. Closing earlier than that just shortens your credit history a little, but as long as you have cards in your portfolio that have no annual fee and you keep those open for a long time, then closing other cards under 12 months shouldn't ding your score too badly, if at all.
    satman40, wharvey and Sammich like this.
  3. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Depend on your spend, many times they want your business,

Call and let them pitch you, not happy apply for another and move the credit line.

I think they get points for new CC also, and points pitching you to hold the card also...

It is their business

Mine have expiration stickers on them