cancelling BA award flights online for flights on US AIR

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by travelpye, Mar 18, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. travelpye

travelpye Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had booked flights for myself and 4 family members for travel next week on US Airways using Avios that I need to cancel owing to a serious illness of another family member. The flights were booked individually, not all on one PNR, one by one as award flights became available.

I canceled the first flight on Monday. But much to my surprise, the Avios miles did not return to me account right away, which had been my previous experience. Also, I got an email saying they were processing my refund and I would receive a confirmation email when complete. So far no refund and no return of the Avios to account. I have additional flights to cancel but am reluctant to do so until first one is processed successfully. I am assuming I will need to call them but wondered if anyone here had any insight re what went wrong? I did give them the same CC number for the refund as for teh original booking. I had linked the flights to the corresponding US Airways account, but I would not think that would matter as I could still pull it up on BA with BA confirmation.

Thanks

2. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    It sometimes takes time for the refunds to be actioned if the cancellation request has gone into a manual queue for some reason.

Don't defer cancelling the others. I don't know why you're waiting for anything if you know that they must be cancelled. You have a confirmation email for the cancellation request that you've made, so you will get your refund sooner or later. If you don't cancel the others before the deadline you simply won't get a refund at all, so waiting seems to make no sense whatsoever.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
    MX likes this.
  3. travelpye

travelpye Silver Member

Status Points:
    In response to the question "why cancel only one," that relates to the evolving medical situation. Initially, only one of us was going to cancel to assist with recovery, but his medical condition deteriorated and so we all decided to cancel. And since that first flight did not cancel as I expected, I posted my question here before proceeding.

I have canceled them all now. I do not understand why, with the first and then now with a subsequent cancellation, I got a message saying they would "attempt" to cancel the flight. I also did not get the screen in these instances confirming how many miles would be re-deposited into my account etc. With the others, it looks like the request to cancel should process ok.

When i have enough time to place a call and (likely) stay on hold for an extended period of time, I will call BA about the problem.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015