Cancelled & reaccom'ed? Need ORC? No problem!

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Mike Reed, Sep 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although the "letter from Suzanne" has a thread, I thought this deserved a different one. Just FYI, there is a policy in place that AAdvantage members re-accom'ed on competing airlines get original routing credit for their booked AA flights, including segments, EQM and RDM.

I was re-accom'ed to UA on Sunday, so I called today and reached an EXP desk agent who had just seen the memo, knew about it, and transferred me to AAdvantage Customer Service. A quick request, a review of the PNR and ORC has been entered for my AA flights as booked - no questions asked and no "one time exception" speeches to be had.

I'll see the credit in 24-48 hours (and in past experience this is absolutely the case), including EQM and RDM (again, as expected). I spent 6 minutes on the phone, total, to get this done. Had I called ACS the first time it probably would have been 3 or 4. :)

Looks like American really is doing everything it can to make these bumps less painful, and is carefully working to ensure members don't lose elite-qualifying miles/segments or redeemable miles they should have received.

Kudos, AA!

rwoman, beaktor, John777 and 3 others like this.
  2. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice to be reminded but as you say this has been policy for a while (altho not all agents were as on top of it as yours)

Sunshine7 likes this.
  3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's been "re-affirmed" recently due to the rebookings that have been happening, especially on other carriers.

4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    And, just like they said (and I expected), it's there. Voila.

5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had to change my route but was not granted ORC. :(

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    There are some differences between your story and Mike Reed's though, you were placed on AA flights and then negotiated a completely different route all together that was mutually agreed up on.

I still think it's worth asking again though.

edekba likes this.
  7. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1. Call back, and ask for reconsideration, stating that you took the updated flights because of the cancelations and delays. They'll more than likely accommodate you.

infamousdx likes this.
  8. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Glad I found this thread because this is what I'm going through due to the DFW weather right now. Flight cancelled and reaccomm'd via MIA instead of DFW. Will NEED the ORC to complete the Fast Track challenge so I hope I get an understanding agent after the flights.

9. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with Mike that this benefit has been place for some time ( I recall first getting it what ? 8-10 years ago) HOWEVER I am not sure if there are rules written, unwritten or even "made up" but
    on the last occasion when I misconnected due to a delayed inbound I was rebooked and placed a direct flight which reduced the miles to be earned by about 700 miles, I was refused ORC.
    I even called Advantage Customer Service a couple times to be told I had been granted this " number of times before" and was never able to get the missing miles posted despite multiple attempts.

Therefore my suggestion is to perhaps push to get this benefit when you think might absolutely need the miles (or if the "loss" is rather significant) eg for qualification or any other similar but important situation.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
    infamousdx likes this.