Cancelled BofA Card. . .can I reapply

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by deosola, Feb 10, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. deosola

deosola Silver Member

Status Points:
    After 3 years of use, I just cancelled my Signature Alaska Airline card because I wasn't flying Alaska any longer. But now (about a month later) I found out that I will need to use them again.

Will they allow me to apply for another card? Do I get the 25K miles point bonus? And how long does it typically take to get the companion ticket?

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yes, yes, and not very long...

iolaire likes this.
  3. deosola

deosola Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow. . .I thought they might not because what is then to stop people from taking advantage of the system by cancelling and reapplying on a periodic basis.

I'm happy. . .thanks!

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    You can even skip the cancelling part

5. deosola

deosola Silver Member

Status Points:
    What??? How does that work? Are you saying that I can get the 25K additional bonus miles with out cancelling my card and reapplying?

6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    You need to apply. You just don't need to cancel before you do. You can have more than one of these at a time.

MX likes this.
  7. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    you can churn this baby to your hearts content for bonus miles

8. jni3

jni3 New Member

Status Points:
    what does it matter if you fly Alaska Airlines or not? I might travel with them once a year but I still have my card. Their MileagePlan works wonders on their partner airlines. Keeping the card is a no brainer especially for their companion ticket because if you don't use it you can always gift it to family member or sell it to a friend.

9. Edelman

Edelman Silver Member

Status Points:
    You have two options. You can ask to have the account reopened. Most banks allow this for several months or even longer after an account is closed. You won't get the signup bonus but they won't do a hard credit pull either or at least that is my understanding.

You can reapply. They might turn you don't but once you explain I think worst case they give you the card but not the bonus. You will get a credit pull.

BofA is very lax about churning although a month or so is really pushing it. On the other hand I wanted a card for my kid so I had two AS credit cards and BofA gave me the signup bonus and the companion for each. Smart move on their part. I've been a loyal cardholder ever since.

10. honolulu96815

honolulu96815 New Member

Status Points:
    I applied for both a personal and a business Visa signature card and hope to get the 50,000 miles bonus. :)
    could I cancel the cards after a few months to get new ones and would get the bonus miles again??