Cancellation of award stay

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by cgriffiths, Apr 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. cgriffiths

cgriffiths Active Member

Status Points:
    I booked a stay at one of the NYC hotels using the points and cash option, but then decided to cancel this and just pay for the entire stay. Much to my surprise, when I looked at my account to see something else, I saw the deduction of the 25,000 points, but they were never put back into my account. When I contacted Hilton Honors, they told me they had manually entered a case number for me and that I should wait approximately 14 business days to get my points back. I'm a Hilton Diamond and I've never had something like this happen before. When I've cancelled a reward stay, the points have been automatically refunded to my account, and this time, if it hadn't been that I was looking at my account for another reason, I wouldn't have even noticed that the points were not refunded. I'm curious if anyone else has experienced a problem of this sort.

Thanks!

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's been my experience that with the new booking system that includes money&points, it is better to "change the reservation" than to cancel and start over. If you select "change the reservation" and then book a paid stay instead of what you had before, it will tell you that to make that change you must start over, at which point it will return all the points from your prior reservation to your account, in "real time". You will be kicked back to the beginning of the reservation where you will need to reenter everything, and then select a money-only stay when you get to it, but your points would have already been returned to your account...in real time.

MyTravels, PedroNY and Counsellor like this.
  3. cgriffiths

cgriffiths Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your response. I'll make sure I do it this way for any future cancellations. I just don't quite understand why it would take so long to get the points back.

4. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would recommend to call Hilton Diamond Desk 1-877-444-9847, they tend to post very quickly, within minutes, maybe they have an overide option over regular Hilton Honors help desk.

Cheers,

PedroNY

NYCUA1K likes this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quite true. I have had missing points (e.g., AMEX booking bonus) credited while on the phone with Diamond desk...

PedroNY likes this.
  6. cgriffiths

cgriffiths Active Member

Status Points:
    It was actually the Hilton Diamond Desk which responded to my email, but I will try giving them a call. Many thanks!