Cancellation, no notification, random schedule change AA 289 11/28

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DCtrAAveler, Aug 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I went into my reservations yesterday afternoon to pull some flight info (numbers, arrival/departure times, etc.) and discovered that my flight to PVG on 11/28 had dropped off the itinerary. Called EXP desk and agent's first thought was that there were system hiccups given that it was Sunday and systems were updating. She did put in a call to scheduling, though, and left me a voicemail later to say that no, it wasn't a mistake and that someone decided that on that day they just weren't going to fly ORD-PVG. Wed, ok. Friday through the weekend and into the next week, ok. Just not 11/28. Granted it is Thanksgiving day, but what does that have to do with flying to Shanghai? Looks like nothing is going out of LA that day, either, although AAs flights to NRT are still on - so its not like all destinations are being affected. Haven't called back to try rescheduling something else yet. It was bad enough trying to get it booked using my elite rewards promo code in the first place, now to deal with the cancellation with no notice - not a hAAppy camper this morning :(

zpaul likes this.
  2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to hear that. I have had flights change numerous times without notice. I think the flight I just took to get here in London was changed 4 times before I finally got on the plane (only to be re-routed after a day of delays). :rolleyes: Good luck getting it re-booked.

zpaul and DCtrAAveler like this.
  3. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had confirmed SWUs on both the outbound and return, too. Have to factor that into whatever change I'm able to come up with.

Anyone have experience re-routing in a situation like this on other carriers? I could fly JL (or AA for that matter) to NRT and connect to PVG, or CX through HKG with a connex to Dragonair. Not sure if either of those would be allowed or if I'm stuck having to go a day earlier/later on 289 ORD-PVG.

zpaul likes this.
  4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    It might be allowed but I don't think there's any way they're going to have JAL open up J inventory for the SWU. You might get someone from rev mgmt to open SWU inventory on an alternate AA flight.

5. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    My UA flights for Thanksgiving were canceled last week. I was going Cabo – IAH – ERW in about 8 hours, the only replacement options were 13-24 hour itineraries with long layovers. Obviously we rebooked for another day, decreasing our time in ERW before we return to DCA.

zpaul likes this.
  6. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Happy to report that for the first time in the last five changes, AA notified me by e-mail of a schedule change before I caught it. Extra hAApiness for the fact that a 6:30AM became a 7AM. Grateful for the extra half hour of sleep.

Wondering why this can't be automatic for all flights. If the schedule changes, system should check profiles of all ticketed passengers and send an e-mail if one is on file.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is much lower demand on holidays and airlines often reduce their schedules to account for that. UA has done similar in recent years, too.

zpaul likes this.
  8. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

Call the EXP desk and they will almost certainly open up another flight for you.

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:

You might find this thread on JonNYC's TravelingBetter interesting with regards to your situation: LINK.

10. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    No "Batman"? I would not have guessed that. Hot diggity! That is a great policy. Never a truer definition of an alliance. :)

11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:

I had exactly this happen in MIA on an AA MIA-LHR flight. Went mechanical, had J tix/seats, re-accom'ed in Club World on BA's 747 flight.

12. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I had it happen on the int'l portion of OWMD. Just didn't know it was an official policy.

13. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    As I was fine tuning my December travels, just noticed that AA has cancelled NRT-ORD flight on Christmas day. That is in addition to seasonal closing of Tuesday and Thursday flights. So yes, holidays may get a special treatment.

14. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tip. I'll keep this in mind when calling to find new options. Cheers!