Canceling US (LH) Award & Avoid Fee?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Mike Reed, Oct 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Short version: After finally getting a US agent to book a J award on LH (DFW-FRA-ZRH and back), a recent injury means I'm not going to be able to make this trip (95% sure). I've already canceled the hotel stay, but since I don't have ANY status on US Air I'd have a cancelation penalty of $150/ticket (only CP gets that fee waived).

Are there any other situations that allow the fee to be waived (such as my injury)? Would a schedule change allow for a free cancelation/redeposit? Is there any reason NOT to wait until closer to travel to cancel the tickets, hoping for an event that would otherwise allow me to cancel without penalty?

Worse comes to worse, I'll cancel and pay the $150 redeposit fee and "write it off" to the costs of my injury (but not on my taxes, of course).

Any help appreciated.

-- Mike

B1BomberVB likes this.
  2. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would wait for a schedule change or irrops on the day of travel. Same fee either way.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  3. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm in the same situation. I need to cancel a US air award ticket (United & ANA). I don't see anyways around the $150 fee for me. I've held the reservation all year and there was a very minor time change of like 3 minutes but I don't think it's enough to cancel on. I'm toying with the idea of rescheduling the trip to next year but assume it will still cost me.

MX likes this.
  4. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since you're not facing any increased penalty for canceling close in, I'd wait as long as possible before canceling the ticket. It's always possible that a big schedule change will give you an excuse to cancel without penalty.

5. mre5765

mre5765 Silver Member

Status Points:
    One can buy status on US. Do elites get to avoid the cancelation fee?

If so would you get enough future benefit from a year of elite US status to consider buying some status?

6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is that standard MO with US? Schedule change = cancel w/o redeposit penalty?

Fee, $150. Trial Chairman's, $600. I was half hoping the merger would go through just for this... I'm EXP on AA.

daninstl likes this.
  7. moongoddess

Status Points:
    I doubt it - but you'd have a strong argument in your favor that, because you weren't the one forcing cancellation of the flight (the airline did that with their schedule change), you shouldn't have to pay the penalty fee.

I'd mention your AA EXP status; too; what could it hurt?

Did you by chance take out any trip insurance for this trip? FF tickets aren't generally covered, since they aren't purchased with actual money, but because you're cancelling due to a medical issue, the $150 mile redeposit fee should be.

8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since US isn't AA, they won't care about my EXP status. If the merger had gone through I might have a leg to stand on.

It's possible that trip insurance might cover this if I paid the ticketing fee on a credit card - I need to look into that.

9. moongoddess

Status Points:
    You might also get the original ticketing fee back, too. Trip insurance generally doesn't cover award tickets themselves because the value of "points" and "miles" is nebulous - but the ticketing fee and cancellation fee are in dollars, which they do understand and can value appropriately. US Airways clearly states what it costs to cancel a an award ticket on on its website, and you can document that you actually booked an award ticket and had to cancel it for medical reasons. If you have any trip insurance coverage, I'd say you have a good chance of being refunded. But don't cancel that ticket until you've notified the insurance company that you're going to be making a claim!

Sorry to hear about your injury, and I hope you find your trip is indeed covered by insurance. Getting the money back is poor consolation for missing out on a nice trip, but it's better than nothing.