Canceling SPG & Hilton HHonors Amex....Thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by mrx900, Jun 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got the 25K bonus from getting the card and actually spent a bit on it....xferred those miles into AA and traded them on cpn connection for a Star Alliance business ticket to DXB/IST on LH and TK--SUCCESS......

Switched my old DELTA Gold card to a Hilton HHonors Surpass card....got dinged with a $75 fee, but I did get 40K HHonors pts and spent a good chunk on the card to bring me up to almost 100K pts total ....Never made use of the Gold status though...[​IMG]

Thinking now to tank both cards and prep for another set of AMEX card(s)......thoughts?

Im also wanting to kill my AMEX Gold Membership Rewards card (got 20K bonus after $1000 spend)......I do have the Amex Premier Rewards Gold card though..(got 75K MR pts after emailing them )...initially got 25K after a $1500 spend....but am planning to keep that one at least so I can get MR pts.

Kalboz likes this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    1. You can adjust credit lines on the Amex website again. Consolidate your credit from the Hilton card over to the Starwood card and cancel the Hilton card, to avoid the fee.

2. Make sure you transfer out any Membership Rewards points before you get rid of all cards that earn Amex points, or you'll lose the points. You keep the points as long as you have at least one Amex card linked to Membership Rewards but you must have at least one.

3. No reason to cancel all the cards, I get wanted to avoid annual fees, and you probably don't want 4 cards if you plan to apply for more, but you could presumably always offer to cancel card(s) if and when you're rejected for a new one. You certainly don't need to go 4 to 0 when it's already been demonstrated that Amex will let you have 4.

Anyway just some initial thoughts.

Kalboz and BWIflyer like this.
  3. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Look at how you use your points. For me, Starwood points are extremely valuable so I kept the card even after the annual fee increased.

All gleff said is right on. Be sure you do not forfeit points in cancelling cards.

4. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can downgrade to the Hilton HHonors AXP (non-Surpass) for free (no annual fee) & cancel the fee based cards (Surpass, SPG, Gold) if you want to keep one card with AXP and not pay any fees.

As pointed out above, make sure you use/transfer your membership rewards before closing AXP charge cards.

5. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    This will not protect membership reward points.

6. Isnt there a 30 day timeframe between canceling Amex MR cards and losing MR points?

Kalboz likes this.
  7. HI--I have a Hilton Amex Gold Card Surpass. I have really racked up the points this year as I have stayed in 4 Hilton property hotels. Also, we get extra points for gas, groceries, pharmacies, so I use it for those places.
    I also have a Platinum Amex too. I have actually made money with that card. Did a cruise last year. 375 on board credit, plus 100 back because the cruise was over 3000.00. Then my camera broke. Two weeks after I called Amex--bingo they credited my account for the camera. I have many cards. I am loving the new Amex Platinum travel benefits like all of the clubs and up to 200 back on purchases--
    good luck. It is all about the points

Kalboz and travelinmike33 like this.
  8. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    AMEX SPG and Hilton Surpass are my go to cards. SPG gives me an option to convert points to miles (with bonus) of a number of airlines and Hilton hotels in other countries treat me well just with the Gold status. But the needs of other individuals may be different.

Steven Schwartz, Kalboz and jrbb1234 like this.
  9. HoKo
    Original Member

HoKo Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's interesting, I didn't know that. Is it possible to consolidate my SPG Biz line onto my SPG personal card or can consolidation only occur personal -> personal OR biz -> biz ?

Kalboz likes this.
  10. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    should be doable biz -> personal, at least it used to be

Kalboz likes this.
  11. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just out of curiosity, what was the conversion rate that you got on Coupon Connection? If you don't mind sharing with the rest of us, thanks! :)

Steven Schwartz likes this.
  12. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I closed a JeTBlue card with the changes to the reward structure for a fee rebate, they could not move my credit line to my SPG business card, only to my hhonors personal.

This was January 2013