Canceling a Free Night Reservation

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by Maximizer, Jun 20, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a free night because of the credit card, and I want to use it.

What will happen if I need to cancel the reservation? Will I get it back? Any experiences with this?

Thanks.

OceanBreezes and Sweet Willie like this.
  2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    yes, many times.
    so long as you cancel by cancellation time/date that will be part of your reservation, you will get the free night back

3. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am trying to do the same thing...cancel one hotel and then book another. I have tried calling and am in a never ending loop in the phone system...I make it all the way to the point that the recording says they will transfer me to an agent...then, it goes back to the beginning. After 3 times, I tried chat and it would not start either...so, I am guessing their system must be down. Or, does this happen often? I am new to IHG. If I cancel online, will the free day automatically be reinstated...or, do I need to call? I am within the cancellation timeframe, but there is a big yellow warning that made me worry.

4. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    I decided to give it a try - the free night instantly posted back to my account. So easy.

5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've found with most programs that the free night gets posted almost instantly back to the account. Didn't used to be like this so looks like IT is actually doing something positive to enhance customer service.