canceled flight - way to determine real reason?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by thegrailer, Apr 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there a website or something where one can find out the reason a flight was canceled/delayed/whatever?

Long story short, I don't believe what I have been told by the airline and was wondering how to check the reason myself. (Or is it just wishful thinking that this info would be made public?)

Cheers

perryplatypus likes this.
  2. Philphactor
    Original Member

Philphactor Silver Member

Status Points:
    If it's a legacy carrier on a domestic trip, go to the carrier's cargo website and look up the flight number.
    aacargo.com
    unitedcargo.com
    delta.com/business_programs_services/delta_cargo

thegrailer likes this.
  3. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was a CO flight from before the merger and I just received a response today about the cancellation. Back in Feb the agents that helped me re-book had no explanation, the flight was simply canceled. The email from UA customer care today said "weather" was the cause. I call BS for a few reasons. (i) a weather cancellation 26+ hours in advance of the flight just doesn't fly with me since (ii) I got out of the original airport just fine and (iiI) their were zero issues with my original connecting flight (I followed it as a chance lost because I was at the top of the UG list with open seats. I went from that situation to 3+ hours in an RJ [with broken reading lights to boot])

/back on topic

Is there a way to find February CO flights on the UA website?

Cheers

traveltoomuch likes this.
  4. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The CO cargo site is http://cargo.cocargo.com/cargo/, although I'm not sure if you can still find Feb. flight data on it.

thegrailer likes this.
  5. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    ExpertFlyer occasionally displays info as published by the airline's computer system.

thegrailer likes this.
  6. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not having much luck finding a reason. Found the flight on Flightaware - an express jet flight

11-Feb-2012
    E45X/L
    Washington Dulles Intl (KIAD)
    Newark Liberty Intl (KEWR)
    12:37PM EST
    01:13PM EST
    Cancelled

7. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your logic makes sense to me. Even if "weather" delayed a crew or aircraft the day before, there has to be a limit to how far back one can look to assign a cause -- this is a business where "irregular operations" are common, and they have to plan for things.

The question is "even if you had evidence it was mechanical etc., what would you do with that?" If you're thinking of a DOT complaint, go ahead an do it -- the DOT can see through the weather excuse just as you have done.

8. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    DOT maybe. Skykit is the preferred outcome.

Have been looking here and around this site - no Feb data yet: http://www.transtats.bts.gov/OT_Delay/OT_DelayCause1.asp

Anyone find Express Jet Feb data, please let me know

I am also PO'd, like much of UA's elites, that I am treated with such contempt. When I reply to UA, I want to be able to shove this back in their face.