I just went through a situation and am looking for some constructive criticism on what I did right, what I did wrong, and what I should do the next time I face something like this, as well as what I still need to do. Background: I have no status. I was originally scheduled for OGG-SFO-JFK on Monday night at 10PM. At 10 AM that morning I received an email from Travelocity (where we got the tickets, FWIW) that my itinerary was 'significantly' changed (I will add that I did add the reservation to my UA account, but never received any notification from them). My departure was moved from Monday night to Wednesday night. As I was on vacation and needed to get back to work a two day delay was not acceptable. My first move was to call Travelocity, but when I got through the audio was terrible distorted. I even tried from my wife's phone but that didn't work either. My second move was to call UA directly. As I was doing this I was searching for alternatives myself. I got someone in India (presumably) and talked about the situation. To avoid a skyscraper post, I was eventually transferred to his supervisor. I saw that there was availability on HNL-EWR and asked if we could be switched to that. He said yes, but that he could not get us to HNL, even on HA. His system wasn't showing him any availability and that he would not be allowed to buy F inventory. Online we saw F inventory and one flight in Y (which he said was probably an oversell situation which prevented him from seeing it). We made the decision to switch to HNL-EWR and we would get ourselves to HNL. I ended up calling and getting two F tickets on HA (their rep did not see the Y inventory, and for various reasons did not want to go through my phone to order) since the price was not stupid expensive ($103 for Y AFAIK, and $169 AI for F each). I then had to change my car service to pick me up at EWR and take me to Long Island, for an additional ~$50 or so. What I think that still need to do is to follow up with customer service on getting some of these costs back. First was the OGG-SFO E+ buy up that I did a couple weeks ago. Second is the cost of the airfare from OGG-HNL (we'd accept at Y level reimbursement) and hopefully the extra cost of the car service (maybe in voucher form). I am not sure what UA would have owed me if I accepted the original reschedule, but I have to think some of my out of pocket costs would have been less? ETA: One thing that did work well, that I can tell, is that the F buy got our luggage check through to EWR without any bag fees. My guess is that would have been $17 for HA + $25 for UA. Thank you. P.S. I am curious why both SFO-OGG flights were cancelled on Monday, there was no weather that I was aware of. Did both 753s go MX?