Cancel Trip With Cleared SUWs - How Long for SWU Redeposit?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by ballardFlyer, Nov 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    How long should one expect AA to take to redeposit cleared SWUs when canceling an AA ticket? I spoke ot a CS agent and he said "48 hrs" and that was 9 days ago (though there was a holiday).

Anyone have other experiences/data points to share?

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    There's no set time frame, because as far as I know the process is not automated, it's manual.

You should check on this and continue to check till you get your 2 SWUs redeposited.

JonNYC and ballardFlyer like this.
  3. sukn
    Original Member

sukn Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is indeed manual and usually takes three business days (now that AAdvantage is closed on weekends) but if you need to re-use them right away, EXP agents have work arounds to accommodate the new itinerary.

4. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Called to check today.

New EXP agent said no paper voucher was coming and I just need to reuse the ticket numbers like normal canceled tickets except these have SWUs attached.

This is in direct contradiction to last agent who told me he was mailing vouchers and SWUs would be back in 1-2 days.

The new agent said eticket rebooking was better anyway as it was "more flexible" because I wouldn't need to bring the voucher to the airport? Does this seem logical or should I call back to get a voucher?

Other tidbits were that 1) it was possible to remove SWUs at time of rebooking if the new tix are just domestic etc. And last but not least she said that these "used" SWUs are preserved on the canceled ticket past their Feb 2013 expiration and will last until ticket expires in Nov 2013. I've never heard that and it makes me wonder if she was making things up.

Thoughts?

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    If you don't like what's offered, hang up, call again.

ballardFlyer likes this.
  6. sukn
    Original Member

sukn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, if you want to keep the eVIP alive until Nov 2013 when the ticket expires, leave it attached. This is absolutely true. The agent was also correct that "eticket rebooking" will be much easier than having a paper voucher issued -- which will require a trip to the airport to redeem or you will have to mail it in to use it.

The thing about removing the eVIPs if the new tickets are just domestic is correct if you remove them before their expiration date. So if you wait until after March 1st and ask them to be re-deposited, it will not happen. So past March 1st, your only option will be to apply them to a new itinerary when you do the "eticket rebooking".

7. SanDiegoDallas

SanDiegoDallas Member

Status Points:
    But, what happens when you go to rebook and the C/A inventory is not available at booking? This is typically the case, and I have to wait list. (LAX-LHR C never seems to open up until week-of-flight.)

I did this with a ticket and was told the eVIP would redeposit to my available balance, to be pulled if/when the upgrade clears. That was two weeks ago and nothing yet has hit my online balance...

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of extending my upgrades for longer vs. losing them, but it seems they become much more difficult to use.

8. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the info/perspective on the agents thoughts. I will let them ride then and add the #s to my XLS of canceled tickets.

A little OT, but it would be great if AA had a "My Wallet" system like AS does for managing canceled ticket values, vouchers, etc. The AS system for this is the best in the industry IMHO.

9. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Without speaking to another agent my canceled SWUs are now showing as "unused" again contradicting last agent. No vouchers yet.