Cancel one of two MR cards with active points advance - ok?

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by ballardFlyer, Feb 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have two plat cards. One is regular plat and I just got the MB plat for 50k more MRs.

I took a points advance on the old plat and its fee is up this month so I'd like to cancel it. The points advance that was taken on it is not due for several months more.

However, now that I have the new MB Plat can I cancel the old one without being charged to repay my points advance? My new MB card bonus won't post for several weeks and I have to pay the old cards $450 fee before then.

Searches didn't turn up this exact scenario with the advance in the mix. Thanks in advance.

2. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Regardless, Amex will prorate the fee. Not sure on the points advance though. It might be tied to the account, not the card, so you might be ok, but don't take my word for it.

3. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just to round this out - yes, you can cancel the 1 MR card with an active points advance as long as you have at least one other MR card active. The points advance is tied to your MR account not the MR enrolled CC.

jwsky likes this.