Cancel Citi AAcard now? Or wait?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by arooni, Jul 9, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. arooni

arooni Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to this forum, I found out about a 50K mile offer Citi that I now have in my AA account. Good job Milepoint! good job me! $95 yearly on this card that i don't want to have to pay.

I don't really need now for the card now. I tried calling and cancelling and they offered me 3K miles if I spend $500 in less than 3 months. i said yes for now. they also said that sometimes that they can offer a better retention in december.

I also want to get in on a new 30K or 50K offer with Citicard for a new card; so do I have to be without a CitiCard account for a set amount of time before i can get a new 30k or 50K offer? any idea what this time is?

2. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    You do not have to cancel your current card to get an additional Citi AA card. However you do need to wait at least 18 months after your last Citi AA application before you can apply for a second Citi AA card.
    In general, Citi is very generous with retention offers. For me, every year they credit the $95 fee back after I make 5 purchases. The card has a few valuable perks, such as the 10% rebate on award bookings (up to 10K miles a year)

traveltoomuch likes this.
  3. FlyingExplorer

FlyingExplorer Silver Member

Status Points:
    If in doubt, cancel.

4. arooni

arooni Active Member

Status Points:
    so cancelling my existing card doesn't do anything to speed up my ability to get a new 30-50K offer? your advice is to keep the card?

5. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Correct, cancelling your card does not speed up your ability to get a new card. In the future you may get a retention offer that suits your needs better. There are a couple of informative threads over on Flyertalk.com with detailed info on applying for Citi cards and on Citi retention offers. You may want to look there if you want more info.

6. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Why cancel when Citi gives out retention offers so readily and the card has benefits?

7. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I saw the same thing until 2013, when they offered to waive the fee outright.

miles and smiles likes this.
  8. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We have 5 AA Ex cards and some other AA cards, we do plan to cancel at the 11 the month.

The cards ca be churned, and I have for many years.

If they waive the fee on the AA Ex card I would keep one of them.,

We did a United the other day and got the bonus even though we had the cad before...so Chase will give repeat bonuses, also.

Counsellor likes this.