Cancel Card before AOR?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by merice107, Jul 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm coming up on my next AOR pretty soon. One of the cards I am going for is the Chase Hyatt. I already have the BA visa and the United Explorer card. I just got my 2nd year anniversary 50k avios this week so I don't really need that card anymore. My United card will have its annual fee due in November; so I don't need hat card.

My question is, do I cancel a card before my AOR (if so which one), or do I hold on to both and if/when I have to call the reconsideration line I can offer to close one of the accounts?

2. Denro

Denro Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just from experience I have 4 Chase cards....Hyatt, Marriott, United, and Sapphire Preferred....all obtained within the past year, so you may be approved automatically. As far as which account to close....analyze which card gets you benefits and is worth keeping open. For example, I don't have United status, so the free bags for being a United Explorer Card holder is a benefit and the savings has already surpassed the annual fee.

ezb likes this.
  3. ezb

ezb Silver Member

Status Points:
    You should also consider moving credit limit from a card you are closing to one you plan on keeping. For example, if you have 2 cards, each with a $10K limit, you can close one and transfer the credit to the other, giving it a a $20K credit limit. Chase won't guarantee that you will get the FULL amount but it's usually a good chunk of it. I was able to do it and did get the full amount.

4. Mrlasssen

Mrlasssen Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a very good question and one I have thought about before. That being said my experience is Chase will allow you another card, are thinking about applying for more than one Chase card? Always be prepared to have the correct answers for the rep either at the time they call you or you call the recon line. Also, a couple of days after you apply call them and ask if your application was received and is there any questions about your app. You results will be interesting to hear.

5. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well I ended up keeping both open. I'm glad I did because I got in on those no fee GC from chase. I applied for my 3rd chase card on Tuesday night and both myself and my wife were instantly approved. By the time my 4 chase card comes around I will have canceled my 4th (probably).