Cancel BA reward booking

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by dream7, Dec 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. dream7
    Original Member

dream7 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you cancel a BA reward booking online. It doesn't seem to work. Any experiences here?

2. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been able to do online cancellations in the recent past. I've not tried since June.

3. dream7
    Original Member

dream7 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is an x next to it, and it appears to be disabled.

4. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes those links are active, and sometimes they aren't. If your link isn't active, you'll have to phone to do it.

There's no definitive answer that I know of as to when the links are active and when they aren't. But if the ticket has been re-issued at any point, that very often kills those links (including also the links for change online, upgrade with money, upgrade with miles).

5. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This probably doesn't help, but I was able to cancel two award bookings online last week. Miles were refunded within a day.

Toula likes this.
  6. dream7
    Original Member

dream7 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I could not cancel it online, so I called. They ended up waiving the fee.

7. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please please please - make sure you print up ALL the details of your initial booking, especially the high fees you paid. In my experience, it is easy to cancel but much more difficult to get your fees refunded! The points come back quickly but I always have had to call about the cash. And for some ridiculous reason, they say it can take 8 weeks! Disgraceful.:mad:

8. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    We had a similar experience recently. Changed a reward booking which incurred extra costs. Somehow they managed to double dip on the $70 change fee plus the additional taxes. I was so happy that I had recorded the details they had provided in my trusty note book to refer to as it wasn't until I was checking my credit card statement that I realised what had happened.

It took a phone call to BA and a 6 week wait but we got our money refunded, the points were added back to our account plus we received some points in compensation.

I'm not complaining as last time it happened with my Qantas account it took over 8 weeks, numerous phone calls, dodgy excuses and they weren't even generous enough to refund the 5k points cancellation fee.

9. FlyIce

FlyIce Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's quite usual to have the fee waived on the phone if the operation is not possibile online.

10. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    No.

DILBERTIAN!

It sounds like DL SM. Only even more *best in class*

11. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just to add that in my case all fees, less the cancellation fee were refunded back to my card about a week later.

12. BrianD

BrianD Active Member

Status Points:
    What should the normal fee be for cancelling an award booking? A friend told me he booked a one-way DEN-DFW (AA) online then subsequently cancelled online without a fee. He was even refunded the $2.50. Does this sound right?

13. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Depends if it was an old rules booking or a new rules booking.

14. druiddation
    Original Member

druiddation Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had been trying to cancel an old rules booking for a while and sometimes it gave me the option and other times not. I kept getting an error at the end and finally realized I had used a different card than I thought to make the original reservation. My taxes were $12.97 and that ended up being the cancellation fee.

15. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I booked a flight under the old rules with a stopover, if I want to change the dates of the same routing would they recalculate the miles needed under the new rules?

16. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tonight I'm totally fed up. Need to have surgery (not major) so canceling and Avios award redemption on AA from LGA to YYZ. Went online and the option to cancel was "x"d out. I have now called three times - twice today - and the last call told me the wait time would be 88 minutes! Are they kidding. Who can sit for 88 minutes for such a simple request?

Even worse, I looked online for a secure message center and there does not seem to be a way to send a message getting them to do this for me - so no other option than clearing my schedule and sitting on the phone for an hour and a half. This is truly disgraceful.

BTW, one of the bloggers suggested using Skype to call the Singapore BA center. Great - got through immediately, only to be told she could not do it and it had to be done thru the US center. GRRRRRR

17. karlyn

karlyn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd appreciate the answer for new bookings! The posts I've seen so far mainly deal with changes/cancellations of tickets booked pre-Avios

18. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Found out something new (the hard way) about cancelling or changing a booking online. It appears that if you change a booking once online, you will not be able to make a second change without calling BA. I was in that situation last week and the charming CSR reamed me for making too many changes to what was purchased tix. The too many changes I had made was doing a date change once online and paying a change fee of $275 for the pleasure of doing so.

19. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    BA can be decent airline to fly but their booking/reservation systems, handling of irregular ops and general customer service on the ground is certainly the worst (and by a long way) I have encountered.. now I havent had the pleasure of flying Aeroflot, many Chinese or African carriers so I rather suspect my experience might be quite limited.:)

20. Euan
    Original Member

Euan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did you make the original booking online? Are you flying with BA or a partner?

I have made online bookings (flying with BA) and have been able to make multiple changes online without any issue.

21. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Booking was made online with BA on BA metal all the way. Only one date change made.

22. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    That accords with my general experience of ba.com: You can make one change online, and thereafter it has to be done manually.

My impression is that this is because the first re-fare can be done automatically, but second and subsequent re-fares are more complex and so require manual intervention. Given the way that the ticket rules are written, a re-fare seems to occur even when the new total fare (before change fee) is the same as the old.

However, I don't change tickets often enough to have much experience of second/subsequent changes.

23. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's crazy that their system can not handle more than one change. It was so frustrating to have to call and listen to the first couple of minutes about how easy it was to go online and make the necessary changes.

Add in I got charged a change fee and paid about $60 for the phone call because I was calling from overseas. All I wanted to do was to use Avios to upgrade.

24. The Saint
    Original Member

The Saint Silver Member

Status Points:
    You were always going to have to pay that.

And whatever you think of the functionality that is offered by ba.com (which I venture to suggest is streets ahead of other carriers), I can assure you that if you have made changes to a revenue booking this will usually prevent (a) further changes on ba.com; and (b) upgrading with Avios.

The reason for this can be either that the e-ticket has not be revalidated properly (most likely in pure date changes) or the old e-ticket number is left in the reservation when a new ticket is issued. When you are making a change, it is best (politely) to request that the e-ticket is revalidated and that any old e-tickets are removed. This will increase your chances of retaining maximum funcationality on ba.com.

krusty and EZEIZA like this.
  25. EZEIZA
    Original Member

EZEIZA Silver Member

Status Points:
    A very informative post.