Cancel Award & Rebook Question

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by desamo, Apr 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Found better flights for an award flight, can't modify it. I could call, but that would incur a fee.

I'm not high enough in the pecking order not to have a redeposit fee, but it's my understanding that if I cancel instead of refund, I still have the reward certificate.

How do I book against that? Does it show up in my account somehow?

I've considered booking against another pile o' miles (that's not yet a reward cert) then canceling the first, then looking for another trip for the original pile o' miles.

perryplatypus likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the "change" function online doesn't work then you're stuck calling in. I also wouldn't cancel then rebook unless you're really OK walking away with nothing, just in case things go pear shaped.

Since you already made the original booking I'm not so sure that you'll get hit with a phone fee for changing it.

3. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Grumble. It's one of those one-ways.... Well, maybe I'll just leave it. I'm currently going to LAX, but it doesn't have to be LAX.

4. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    On a different booking, where himself wanted to come along and do different dates, I just canceled then refunded. I don't think it redeposits miles to re-use -- at least not in a way I understand, so I paid the frakkin' fee and rebooked us both on the new dates (well, I rebooked first, but didn't finalize the reservation until the miles were redeposited if you want to get technical about it). For what it's worth, it took about ten minutes for the miles to re-appear in my account, though I did have to log back out and in for it to show (as it sometimes does).

I'm sure I'll learn the ropes better around the new site, and maybe I'll figure out the cancel without redeposit aspect of things soon.

redwoman likes this.
  5. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know the feeling I booked an Intl Itin with my US miles and when I saw Envoy opened up I called and was told the good news, $150 redeposit fee, $75 for < 21 days and $50 reg booking fee I wasnt changing the routing, the dates or the flights simply thought Id go in Biz now that its available

Coach it will be but I was prepared to do that anyway

6. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    You actually got your miles redeposited after canceling? I still haven't gotten them to redeposit 15K miles (not that many, but still!) after I canceled an upgraded FF econ ticket 3 weeks ago. I'm going to dispute it with Chase tomorrow but I'm resigned to kissing my miles goodbye. :mad:

7. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, got the miles back. I assume the wee bit of taxes is forthcoming.

There are two steps to a cancel. First, the flights are canceled, then you can request a refund of the miles and money. If you're sure you did both, then it may be that the process wasn't working 3 weeks ago, but is now.

redwoman likes this.
  8. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I called reservations and had them cancel the ticket, refund the charge to my cc and told them that I wanted the miles redeposited. Maybe I should have canceled it online. I was told by the CSR in the refunds dept. that there was a notation to redeposit 15,000 miles when the refund actually went through, and yes, she could see that it was supposed to go back to my cc.

Maybe that's my problem; i did it over the phone. Normally I trust talking to a person more than an automated process but maybe in the Bizarro world that is United Airlines, it's the online process that it more trustowrthy.

9. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe, don't know. Because I am a geek, I tend to trust automated processes more.

10. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I keep running into a problem, and tried but failed again tonight, with not being able to change the award flight online (just moving date/time); availability shows up if I do a brand new award search online; call in and the agents can't seem to see any of the available flights. Even if I spoon feed them the flight numbers, etc.

Tonight the agent did see one routing as available but the one-way CMH-EWR-LAX-ITO was pricing out at 37,500 (had her repeat it 3 times to be sure I heard her correctly) - higher because I was "backtracking to EWR"

What's the deal - is CO.com showing phantom availability? I'm tired of retrying hoping a new agent will figure it out. It's been this way since before the merger, too. I'm tempted to eat the redeposit fee and just re-book the new flight and cancel the old, I'm so fed up.

11. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't been able to change any award flights either, even if there is availability.

:rolleyes: Stupid hub system.

The only phantom availability I've seen is in one specific case: When trying to book SK, I searched with 2 adults and 1 senior and it was showing availability for cases where there were only two seats available. That's probably specific to partner awards, though.