Cancel award flight return only?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by boxergal, Jun 24, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. boxergal

boxergal Silver Member

Status Points:
    We used 40K Delta Skymiles each for two award tickets to fly to Montana and are scheduled to fly home on Saturday morning. Can we cancel the return flights and have the unused miles redeposited (I'm assuming 20K each flight?). I'm assuming it's $150 each person to do the redeposit?

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta does not do one way awards and you aren't allowed to change your reward tickets inside 72 hours at all.

I'm afraid you can either forfeit the value of the award ticket or rebook it for a future date at $150 change fee per person.

3. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta does do 1-way awards. They just price out the same as RT. Any changes to award travel have to be made >72 hours before departure, no matter what portion of the trip. I can't remember if I'm exempt from a fee for being DM.

4. boxergal

boxergal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Delta did cancel the return portion of our award tickets when we called yesterday. However, they did not charge us the change fee but instead told us that when we rebook the tickets we would have to pay the $150 change fee at that time and any difference in award ticket miles? They didn't redeposit the miles but will hold them until June 15th, 2015. If we haven't used them by that time, they will expire. I thought that was an odd way to do it. But I confirmed it with her twice and make a record of the date/time of our call for future reference.

Flyer1976 likes this.