Canary - smart home security

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Lionell, Dec 30, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Lionell

Lionell Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just came across this neat gadget, a home security system for when you're out traveling, you can access it through tablet or smartphone, looks cool, not available yet.

More info on http://store.canary.is/

satman40, uggboy and ACMM like this.
  2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    On the surface it does look interesting. The supposed broad range of measurements could mean more areas to fail or give false warnings.

Light bulb moment when reading their website indicated professional monitoring is available. So in the end this is just another alarm system and has all the bells and whistles of my current home alarm but only provides a single view. So maybe good for a condo or an apartment. Cannot see it being useful for a large home. Of course they want you to purchase additional units and their deluxe fee is quite hefty.

(Poasted from my milepoint enabled iPhone)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, ACMM. I would also be reluctant to invest into hardware that depends on the availability of a Cloud service of a small startup company. Admittedly a catch-22 situation, but I would want the ability to use the device even if the company goes under or acquired (and the acquirer decides to shut down the service or crank up the fees or ...).

4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm in that boat with SmartThings... They were originally a kickstarter just acquired by Samsung, but their main problem is the absolute reliability on the cloud. If your internet goes out, you can't even turn on a lightbulb.

satman40, Lionell and ACMM like this.
  5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's kept me away - the cloud is great and all, but not perfectly reliable.

satman40, Lionell, ACMM and 1 other person like this.
  6. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. Just when you need some you get blue skies!!! ;)

(Poasted from my milepoint enabled iPhone)

satman40 and Lionell like this.
  7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's a lot of talk about "version 2.0" of a lot of these products including some sort of local home control, and I'm guessing that now that this whole kickstarter / "internet of things" wave dies off we'll see some more mature products, or at least a lot of stuff that has more foresight built-in and doesn't rely entirely on the cloud.

My setup right now is a lot of convenience with just a splash of home security, but I don't rely on it too much for the latter because of the aforementioned cloud reliance. There's some usefulness in it for the automation of lights, especially if you're going on vacation, and I have home security cameras that record locally and upload everything to Dropbox so I can review later in case something happens.

But otherwise you have to take a lot of these products as being in their infancy and figure they're good for their cool factor and not much else.

satman40 and Lionell like this.
  8. S6_Driver

S6_Driver Member

Status Points:
    I have a pretty substantial CCTV network at my house right now, but I pre-ordered one of these just to see if it lived up to the hype. I am expecting to see it in the next month or so according to the last email I got. Since I do CCTV stuff for a living, I am quite curious to see what they have achieved here.

satman40, Gargoyle and Lionell like this.
  9. harveykiet

harveykiet New Member

Status Points:
    It looks quite interesting . I have also installed door phone system at the entrance of my home and it is directly controlled by my smartphone . These types of gadgets are very necessary for the security of houses .

satman40 and Gargoyle like this.
  10. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could be another TILE Product, wait a year for it, At 249 it is a bit high..

Mole Astak 89 bucks, put the camera in a dogs room will tell you all you need to know...

No fees. And you can check on your pet.

My dog works without the Internet

Gargoyle likes this.