Canadians flock to U.S. for air travel

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Feb 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.montrealgazette.com/business/Canadians+flock+travel/7964070/story.html

Cheap airline tickets continue to lure Canadians across the border with half of the country saying they either have flown out of the U.S. or plan to do so in 2013, according to a new survey.

The Hotel Association of Canada, in its 2013 Canadian travel intentions survey, found 18 per cent of respondents travelled to the U.S. in 2012, a three percentage point increase from the year before. Another 32 per cent say they will go to the U.S. this year to look for cheaper airline tickets.

Ontario and British Columbia lead the way in cross border flying with 23 per cent of respondents saying they had flown out of the U.S. The 18-24 year-old category were the most likely to have used the U.S. route with 32 per cent saying they had flown that way.

The Hotel Association said an "alarming" 61 per cent of respondents knew someone who flew out of the U.S. in 2012 to save money.

Read More: http://www.montrealgazette.com/business/Canadians+flock+travel/7964070/story.html

LETTERBOY, BillE1966 and uggboy like this.
  2. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    BC and Ontario lead because the GTA (Toronto area) and Vancouver are both quite close to US airports of significance (BLI and SEA for YVR; BUF for YYZ/YTO/YHM/etc.). Montreal is fairly close to Plattsburgh, which has a small airport, and I know that airport gets some activity from Canadians.

On the other hand, if you live in Saskatoon or St. John's or even Calgary, it's many hours of driving to get to a useful US airport. In the cast of St. John's, it also involves a multi-hour ferry crossing to the mainland. :)

LETTERBOY likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, we have lots of flocks of Canadian Geese flying around here.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Big rats with wings!

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I kind of like them, actually. Perhaps because their "livery" is similar to mine (see avatar).

6. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    those are pigeons

7. I wonder how Americans would feel if they understood they are subsidizing Canadian fliers as US airports are not self sustaining like Canadian ones are.

LETTERBOY and canadensechris like this.
  8. Deal2020

Deal2020 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even you just search with Expedia, the cheap flights originated from canada mostly make a stop in the US then go to the long haul destinations.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  9. BillE1966

BillE1966 New Member

Status Points:
    From Ottawa (YOW) , Syracuse (SYR) is only 3 hours. Sometimes tickets are cheaper out of SYR including the price of gas there and back. In Jan it was almost $200 cheaper to fly to LA from SYR than from YOW. But it is hit and miss, sometimes it is about the same price so less costly to fly out of YOW.

10. canadensechris

canadensechris Active Member

Status Points:
    Though, when travelling to Europe I find flying out of YYZ or YUL cheaper than going to the US. Anyone else find the same?

11. entropy

entropy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it tends to be comparable, much more so than north america travel. I often find that BUF relative to YYZ is ~300 RT less to SF/LA . And while it a pain in the butt for me to do it, if I had a family of 4 it would be a no brainer.