Canadian MC Alaska woes??

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by rmk123, Jun 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rmk123

rmk123 New Member

Status Points:
    Had the card for 10 years, worked well for us but recently the card services has been purchased from MBNA by Toronto Dominion bank. They have discontinued any web support and expect us to only use Paper statements???? Just morphed back into 1960??? Anybody encountered this problem? We would like to get the Visa version but it is only available to US residents.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  2. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's a thread on TOBB about this.

3. rmk123

rmk123 New Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, new here, what is TOBB?

4. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    FlyerTalk aka TOBB (The Other Bulletin Board)
    www.flyertalk.com

5. goldenrivet

goldenrivet New Member

Status Points:

I am canadian I have gotten the alaska airmiles visa card. They had denied me when I applied on line, so I phoned to do it in person, you guessed it they denied it again. I had never been denied for a credit card before so I said I wanted to know why I was declined, they transferred me to the credit department, they declined me becuase suprise surprise they didnt have a credit report available on me in the states. however, if you authorize them to get your canadian credit report i had the card in 3 days. Now that being said. you cant seem to pay it in canada, different system, I do have an american bank account wich i set up to pay for it in the states, so that is the only draw back I saw, but got the 25000 airmiles for this card also on signup. But i agree with you the paper system for the canadian cards is just plain pathetic, however I do like the card and we have three cards to get 3 99 doller flights a year so its worth the hassle and you can phone and get your up todate balance at any time.

6. PJCanoe

PJCanoe Silver Member

Status Points:
    Curious to know if you were able to get this US card without a US address or US social security number, or perhaps you have one or the other?

7. goldenrivet

goldenrivet New Member

Status Points:
    I do have a rental house in florida that I gave as an address, with a billign address for my home in canada. They did screw it up and sent the first card to the house in florida, but once straightened out it is now using my home address in canada. No you dont need a SSA number. I dont have one. That is just for the credit check. I had to give them my social insureance number to do the canadian credit check on me though

8. ranman1973

ranman1973 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Howdy. Yes, I think it's very dumb that the statements are no longer available online.

I've had this card for 4 or 5 years now and have seen it diminish (most notably the $50 companion fare is now $100).

I have other US based credit cards with RBC USA and I don't have a US address. I use this when I am in the states. Since I have US funds in a US bank, I avoid any loss due to exchange rate fee that cc's charge.

9. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you elaborate? I'd like to do the same, living just up the road from you.

10. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you do want a US address there is always the option of either Earth Class Mail or any Mail Boxes Etc. type location.