CANADIAN AMEX Platinum - Status Match *G

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by ryeguy, Dec 27, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. ryeguy

ryeguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    So this is my first post. I've been lurking like a maniac over the past few weeks and thought I'd share a bonus for CDN Platinum AMEX cardholders.

In addition to a unrestricted Priority Pass, AMEX gives CDN members a Cathay Pacific Marco Polo Gold (OW-Sapphire) membership. OW being useless to me, I was thrilled that UA gave me a status match for having the card... Even though it has never been used. I've already got the challenge in the can with a trip from SFO-BKK next month.

I fly monthly between YVR-SFO and am SO happy to be able to finally tell Aeroplan to FO. And *A always gets my business. Maybe for dramatic effect the FO can come from the YVR MLL. Oh yeah, don't call the airlines - check! (Noob!)

Cheers!

Ryan

MX and TravelBear like this.
  2. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP!!

ryeguy likes this.
  3. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome and happy to hear you could get a challenge with UA! That makes another option for people with the Canadian Amex Plat who don't have status within *A. If you don't mind, how many miles did you need for the challenge?

ryeguy likes this.
  4. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. ryeguy

ryeguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dear Mr. Thomson:

Congratulations! You have been awarded a trial period of Premier® Gold status in the MileagePlus® program! This will make your travel with us comfortable, simple and more rewarding than ever.

Your status will be effective for 90 days. Your 90-day timeframe will be December 05, 2013 through March 05, 2014. To remain a Premier Gold member through 2014, you will need to fly 12,500 Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or 15 Premier qualifying segments (PQS) on flights operated by United, United Express or Copa within that 90-day timeframe*. Please visit www.united.com/statusmatch for complete terms and conditions of this program.

Piece of cake. oooh!

cc1972 likes this.
  6. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you! :)

Wow! Just one trip to Asia and that's enough for the challenge.

7. ryeguy

ryeguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    SFO - BKK in a few short weeks!!! eek!

Then to wrap up next year's requirements, flying is going to suck way less thru 2015.

Truly, life-changing. Thank you AMEX.

On that note, now that I'm a Green Card holder in the US, AMEX lets you move one of your cards to a new country if you change residences. Any opinions on that? The plat only comes with a Priority Pass Select here. Very downmarket! Looks mucho inferior. Hmm this is a question for another forum, but go ahead and weigh in if you want ;>

8. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    For one thing, with your Canadian Amex Platinum, you should hurry up and get the $200 credit you are entitled to received every calendar year. You've got only a few days left for 2013, so if you didn't use it this year it's now or never!

ryeguy likes this.
  9. ryeguy

ryeguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I so owe you a beer! Ack, do you think you can buy gift cards?

10. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    From my experience, I don't think so. You have to call the Amex travel agency (whatever they call it) to book something related to travel: flight, cruise, car rental, hotel, .... Then, they will give you a $200 credit on your bill as long as you book something that costs at least $200.

When I did it last winter or last spring, I got the credit right away even though I had booked a hotel room for months later, and I've read that since they do that you can actually book something, get the credit, then later cancel that and keep the credit anyway. However, I also read about one guy who tried that and got stuck with a flight he couldn't cancel.

Also, if you haven't provided Amex with your signature for their travel agency services, they will ask for it. I don't remember if you can fax it or email it, but I do know you can get the form by email. I just don't remember how I sent them my signature afterwards, sorry.

At any rate, the clock is ticking... ;)

ryeguy likes this.