Canadian Amex Cards for Free points/miles

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by cc1972, Oct 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am abroad now, so I will not keep this updated as I will no longer have Canadian Amex cards. If you are interested in any of the cards described below, I suggest you find someone who can refer you those cards as you will get a better welcome bonus than applying straight for the card yourself... unless you are self-referring yourself. ;)
    ================================================================
    With the current refferal offers for the Canadian Amex Gold cards you can get 25K Amex points for the regular Amex Gold or 26K Aeroplan miles for the Amex AeroPlan Gold after spending $500 in the first 3 months that you have the cards. Best of all, there is no annual fee the first year with the Amex gold, but there is now the $120 for the Aeroplan Gold, which is still a very good deal considering the number of miles you get for that price!

A positive change to the Amex cards is the Canadian Amex Business Gold, from which you can get 40K Amex points after spending $5000 in the first 3 months, and with no annual fee the first year.

The Amex Platinum card will give you 60K Amex points which can be converted into Aeroplan or Avios miles at 1:1 but that's not all. The Amex Platinum card will also give you a Priority Pass card for access to airport lounges, which can be very useful to anyone without status. You'll also get a $200 credit of travel spending every calendar year, so you could use one in 2014 and then another in 2015 within the first year you have your Platinum card. You get also gold status with several hotel chains (Club Carlson, Starwood Preferred Guest, ...).

There is also the Amex AeroplanPlus Platinum card, which comes with 41K Aeroplan miles and opens you the doors of Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounges & Arrivals Lounges. Also, once a year you get a 2-for-1 for a short haul reward flight. For instance, let's say you redeem 15K Aeroplan miles for a short haul flight to go to New York from Toronto or Montreal, then you get to bring someone along for free!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  2. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, you get more statii with the Canadian Amex Plat than the US Plat.

bez7 and cc1972 like this.
  3. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, but. . . we never ever had any 100K offers like in the States.

Reddishbead and bez7 like this.
  4. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like they tend to lure long term holders vs churners like here in the States.

bez7 likes this.
  5. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Whichever it is I certainly wouldn't mind 100K or even 75K as a sign up bonus. If I could only get cards in the States . . .

6. adventuress

adventuress Silver Member

Status Points:
    $700 annual fee and 30% for interest not paid in full is not my cup of tea.

7. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, the thing is, if one can't pay in full, then about any card isn't good. ;)

As for the high annual fee, you have to keep in mind what benefits you're getting in exchange. You get $200 credit for travel expenses per calendar year, so you could get it in 2013 and then in 2014, which makes $400 credit. Then, you get 60K Amex points, which, among other things, can be used to pay for travel expenses. In that case, those 60K points equal $600. You're already ahead of the annual fee with those 2 benefits and you still have more benefits included with the card (Gold status within Oneworld, Priority Pass for free access to lounges, hotel gold status at various chains, ...) Of course, if you don't travel much in the first place, that card may not be the best for you. It depends on each individual's situation.

At any rate, it's unlikely that you would be able to get that card anyway since you're in the States and it's a Canadian Amex card. ;)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
    banane, Reddishbead and bigx0 like this.
  8. Reddishbead

Reddishbead Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks!
    I'll put one (or two) of your links to good use.
    ;)

9. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    I cancelled my Plat. card after their horrible "credit review" dept fiasco...maybe I'll re-apply next year ;)

IIRC, CDN Plat card offers a $200 travel credit. which can be used for airline ticket bookings etc. while US Plat. card offers a $200 travel incidentals credit.

Also, US Plat has no foreign transaction fee, while CDN does. :confused:

I'm currently on a Visa Infinite after cancelling my plat. Not paying any yearly fees and already earned $500 bucks in travel credits in one month. :) I'm missing the extra amex benefits though :(

10. Reddishbead

Status Points:
    Anyone ever tried to get the Gold and the Platinum card at the same time?

11. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got both, but not at the same time, though.

12. banane

banane Member

Status Points:
    Thank you MilePoint! Reading here is going to be worthwhile. I just hope Amex will let me take several cards.

13. I am here now!

I am here now! Active Member

Status Points:
    Please, tell me if I got this right.

I could get the Amex AeroGold and the regular Amex Gold. Both have $0 fee for the first year, so I would just need to cancel my cards before the second year to avoid paying the annual fees, right? ;)

Then, I need to spend $500 withing 3 months on each card to get the sign-up bonuses, which would amount to 55,000 Aeroplan miles if I convert my Amex points to Aeroplan + at least 1,000 miles/points from the money spent to get those bonuses. That's 56,000 Aeroplan miles for free! What's the catch?

14. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds about right. Not sure if Amex would give you the second card for the same sign up bonus though.

I am here now! likes this.
  15. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeap, you got it right!

Best of all, there is no catch. Amex is simply trying to get new people to take their cards, so they offer those sign-up bonuses. Other credit card companies/banks in Canada do the same; although, they do not have as generous offers as Amex does.

Amex cards are churnable. ;) Believe me, I know! I just love Amex!!!

I am here now! and Sammich like this.
  16. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm happy to discuss various cards on here - but do we really need credit card referral links on the forums? :\ I honestly tend to get enough card advertisement articles on blogs, and those tend to mention they're referral links slightly more prominently.

17. banane

banane Member

Status Points:
    I came back to say thank you for the link!

By the way, it was really fast! I applied for a new card and got it the following week. Then, the Mileage Rewards bonus points posted in my online account maybe a day or two after I reached the minimum $ spend. With Christmas coming, it was easy to spend the money! ;)

Any offers for other cards or brands of cards (like the Aeroplan from CIBC)?

18. wannaflyaway

wannaflyaway Member

Status Points:
    OP posted about 3 months ago. Are those card offers still valid? I checked Amex Canada's site and they offer only 20K for the Amex AeroplanPlus Gold, but OP has it for 30K??? Is there a mistake?

19. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What I first posted is still valid. When the offers change I will update the information.

There is no mistake about the offers; you do get a bigger bonus from an AeroplanPlus Gold referral offer, such as the one I posted (30K AeroplanPlus Gold), than what Amex has on its own web site. It's true also for other cards as well like 51K for AeoplanPlus Platinum instead of only 30K on Amex's site, or 60K for Amex Plat instead of 50K.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
    wannaflyaway likes this.
  20. wannaflyaway

wannaflyaway Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your links! I haven't received my first statement for my AeroGold yet, so I don't know if I'll get the bonus in the first month or if I have to wait longer, but in the case of the regular Amex Gold I got the 25K bonus in my account a day or two after reaching the $500 spend, which was really nice. :)

21. Reddishbead

Status Points:
    Nothing strange. It was the same for me as well. You should get your bonus from the Aeroplan gold card in the statement following your $500 spend, providing you did it within the first 3 months you had the card. Amex transfers Amex points instantly into your Aeroplan account when you make a transfer from Amex points to Aeroplan miles, but somehow it's a bit different when you get the miles from your Aeroplan card; you have to wait a day or two after the statement shows up into your account for the Aeroplan miles to actually show up into your Aeroplan account. Anyway, I don't mind; I'm getting miles for free! :)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  22. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Back in October, when Amex began the current promotion for its AeroGold card, there was a glitch in their system and a lot of people had to wait the entire 3 months or even longer to get their bonus, but that isn't the case anymore. You will receive your bonus in the following statement after you have reached the $500 spend.

23. wannaflyaway

wannaflyaway Member

Status Points:
    I'm glad to report that I got the 30K Aeroplan miles bonus with my first statement since I spent $500 within the first month (actually, quite a lot more!), so it's business class for me on my next trip!!!

24. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would bank the 30K Aeroplan (AMEX Gold) and 25K MR (AMEX Aeroplans) first because the first year annual fees are waived on both cards. We don't know how much longer the annual fees will be waived for.

Then look into the Platinum versions afterwards.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    cc1972 likes this.
  25. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree that it's a good idea to get both Gold cards since the annual fee is waived for the first year. Also, if one has a trip in mind and could use mileage, getting the Platinum card(s) can be a wise decision as well. Of course, there is the annual fee to keep in mind with Platinum cards, but in the end it often is much cheaper that way than buying plane the tickets.

pointshogger likes this.