Canadian airline in doghouse after email

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by sobore, Oct 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/10/11/5239867/canadian-airline-in-doghouse-after.html

Air Canada is in the doghouse over a spokesman's remarks following the disappearance of a dog who escaped airline staff at a California airport.

The company says handlers at San Francisco International Airport took the dog out of his crate on Monday after his flight was delayed and the pet either slipped out of his collar or broke it.
    Air Canada says the dog — an Italian greyhound named Larry — bolted, and was last spotted about five files from the airport.

The local CBS TV station took interest in Larry's disappearance and says it asked the airline about its procedures after obtaining a statement about the incident.

Instead, the station says it accidentally received an email from spokesman Peter Fitzpatrick urging his colleagues to ignore the inquiry - and what sounded like a jab at the U.S. government shutdown.

"I think I would just ignore, it is local news doing a story on a lost dog. Their entire government is shut down and about to default and this is how the US media spends its time," the station said the email read.

Word quickly spread online, with many voicing their outrage over the company's response.
    "If you ever fly with your pet, you might not want to choose Air Canada," one wrote on Twitter.
    The airline addressed the controversy in a statement Friday.

Read More: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/10/11/5239867/canadian-airline-in-doghouse-after.html

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now, things tend to get interesting. Thanks for sharing. :cool:

3. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Five miles from the airport!! Wow.

4. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    well, its a greyhound, not a daschund! :p

Not much hope they will find the dog alive, but fingers crossed.
    BTW, welcome back Jan.

Another report of a dog AC lost (back in May) - this time the dog got loose and was killed by an eagle :eek: at YVR.

tomh009 and bigx0 like this.
  5. The flow on TOBB is so ludicrous as to be a pilot for a reality show:eek:

6. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Please do enlighten us. I love how you always berate FT, but constantly refer to it!
    Fitzpatrick is a prime example of a manager (and I use that term loosely in this case) that typifies the Peter Principle.

7. After making that comment I would suggest a look in the mirror.

8. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lol

guinnessxyz likes this.
  9. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Graduated from the same school of witty retorts as Fitzpatrick I see...

guinnessxyz likes this.
  10. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    someone didnt check the "to" field......

11. If the shoe fits.........

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2013
  12. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    We all know that sh** happens, but if you are seriously suggesting Fitzpatrick's comments could in any way be deemed a positive way to engage in PR, I feel sorry for your company. I guess I come from a business culture where PR is important for a company dealing with the general public, but that is probably because we aren't the biggest dog in the neighbourhood...

tcook052 likes this.
  13. always misconstruing, always slamming, always negative. I'm pretty sure his remarks were not intended to go public and he probably got shite for it. OTOH every big Company sooner or later makes a PR gaff. I didn't see AC's share price drop as a result so I guess it really didn't cause a ripple other than to the poor hard done people from YEGVILLE

14. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    With AC they're cheaper by the dozen.

Stephan likes this.
  15. with Thomas Cook they are cheaper period:rolleyes:

16. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    What does Thomas Cook have to do with this thread? :confused:

Yes, faux pas' may happen, but the email illustrated the lack of compassion by a representative of Air Canada.

Was there an apology, yes, but after two avoidable mistakes were committed
    1) the agent who released the dog, despite rules against this, and
    2) the heartless comment made by the spokeman! (and while I agree his comments were not meant for public consumption, they were and even if he got crap, perhaps being a spokesperson is not the job for him.

I would not expect that this means a share price would plummet, but AC should learn from this? If not, then they are doomed to repeat insensitive PR events.

YULtide likes this.
  17. You missed the sarcasm intended or the YEG types who are always screaming "fire" ;)

18. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very likely. I prefer to be on topic and not make personal remarks.

YULtide and tcook052 like this.
  19. And what was personal? I was making a comparison. Personal is all the shots driven towards myself and anyone who dares to defend AC from a YEG perspective either here or on TOBB.

20. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It has nothing whatsoever to do with this thread but is simply par for the parnel course.

This isn't the first and won't be the last AC PR faux pas, merely the latest.

21. YEGman

YEGman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Crocodile tears:rolleyes:

tcook052 and YULtide like this.
  22. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    And why should I care about a PR faux pas, one way or another, even if it's not the first?

Methinks some people take AC far too personally.

23. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Who said you had to care? FWIW wasn't me.

24. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh come on...always Pollyanna, always AC can do no wrong and dismissive of any opposing viewpoint, always "it suits me just fine" so that must be the only relevant argument in any discussion...

AC is a decent enough company and in many respects it serves its clientele well, but the rose coloured picture of management you so often paint here leaves me shaking my head sometimes. Public perception can be pretty important - just look at CN these days.
    "My way or the highway" is only one management style...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  25. In some respects it's a sense of entitlement going back to the days when the FF benefits were way out of line to the detriment of the company's bottom line.
    There are those who do take hating AC to a new level based on nothing more than sheer ignorance.
    I have many friends at many levels of management in AC and none of them are the type of people who anyone would direct hatred at.
    The company has come a long way in making their employees and unions understand the economics of the airline business today and, as a result, now have a well motivated team of people.
    Their competitive juices are really working which is how they treated the F1 "affair".