Can you transfer US Air miles to AA?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by royce242, May 29, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. royce242

royce242 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dumb question, but I have more than enough miles in my US Air account yet need more AA miles to qualify for a free international flight with them.

The US Airways website says that you can, "You can earn Dividend Miles on American flights and use Dividend Miles to book award travel on American." but it doesn't say how. Do I have to call AA or US Air up?

I usually just book free flights directly through the airline I have the miles with, so I don't know much about alliances and transfers of miles between airlines etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Kalboz likes this.
  2. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    For American Airlines flights (but for no other US partners), you can find flights on the US website.

Other partners require a phone call (and separate booking fee that is only waived if you are a Chairman's Preferred).

Kalboz likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can use the US miles to book an award for travel on AA metal. You cannot move the US miles to your AA account. Yet.

4. royce242

royce242 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes guys, but how exactly do I do that. I don't see anywhere on the US website that says that I can use my US miles for American flights.

For example, it's usually 40,000 miles to go from Zurich to Miami, via AA. I don't have 40K. To go from Zurich to Miami via US Airways, cost me 60K. I have enough for that but I would rather try to get a free flight for 40K with AA. Is it possible to use US Airway miles to book and get the AA rate (40K)? If so, how? Who do I call? AA or US Airways.

Kalboz likes this.
  5. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You already quoted where it says you can. As I said, just look up the flights you want on the US Airways website. If AA has inventory available it will display.

You will be charged whatever US wants to charge you under their rules, in this case, 60K. Until US and AA merge, both programs will have separate rules.

You do not need to call, the US website allows you to see both US and AA flights as award redemption options. If you call, you will be charged a fee that will not be charged if you use the website.

6. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not possible, yet!

All available AA award seats will show on the US search engine bookable only by US Airways miles - and vice-versa.

Newscience and eponymous_coward like this.
  7. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  8. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz and LETTERBOY like this.
  9. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    The US/ AA merger is supposed to progress to a point next year that it will be possible to empty your US account into your AAcount--but not yet!

Kalboz likes this.