can you transfer miles from skyteam partner on status match?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by LoungeLover, May 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. LoungeLover

LoungeLover Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm on status match on DL and missing 150MQM to stay GM for the rest of the year. It's useful to me since I will fly on DL towards the end of the year.

I'm not in the US right now, so it can't be fixed with a quick MR. But I was wondering if I can do a short trip on a SkyTeam partner and move/credit the miles to DL using my skymiles number?

Is that possible?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Normally you can get MQMs and redeemable miles for flights on SkyTeam partners by entering your DL FF number on the reservation, but check the earning for the airline and fare class for DL miles. You cannot move partner miles that have already been credited to another program.

However, check the fine print for your challenge regarding whether partner MQMs count or whether all DL marketed flights count, versus DL marketed and DL operated flights only.

Note that you seem to have a status challenge, not a status match. Are you sure it's only for through the end of February 2013 and not February 2014?

3. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    MSPeconomist make a very good point about ensuring that if you're on a challenge you can use partner flights. I looked into challenging to COdbaUA but was a bit displeased since it required their metal and I'm in LON for another two months and wasn't optimistic about meeting the metal requirement with my planned travel.

If you're in Europe and you can use MQMs from any partner, you should be in luck, as pretty much all AF/KL/AZ flights earn 100% miles. If you're in Asia, check your fare classes very carefully!

4. LoungeLover

LoungeLover Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've read the page on DL status match challenge and it seems that it requires only delta or delta connection flights.
    Also it seems odd now that the challenge is only until Feb 2013 and they started this on June 2011. Why someone who did status match on July 2011 will enjoy almost 20 months of medallion status, while someone else will enjoy less then 8 months?? seems unfair.