Can you route through LHR to HKG?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by NYC_Gal, Sep 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. NYC_Gal
    Original Member

NYC_Gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have an idiotic question (I should know this). Can I use AA miles to redeem US-LHR (BA), LHR-HKG (QF), HKG-China (KA) in 1 award? I seem to recall I must travel westward to Asia?
    I can't do CX or JAL. No availability on the dates I want. And prefer not to go AA.
    Thanks.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You can do that for a single mileage price as a oneworld award which is based on distance, but I'm confident you probably aren't using that type of award.

Otherwise it's two awards: US-Europe, then Europe - Asia Zone 2.

Hopefully your fuel surcharges aren't too high.

NYBanker and JohnDeere19 like this.
  3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    What exactly are you trying to do? As stated above unless you are using OW awards you must fly Trans-pacific
    well almost...but how about Trans-Arctic?:)
    I have found the best availibity for CX awards are YYZ/HKG and even more so if you are looking for F awards.

4. NYC_Gal
    Original Member

NYC_Gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I am trying to get to Qingdao in China. Trying to see all my options, other than CX. I am still checking out YYZ and ORD on CX. ORD used to be wide open, but I think they closed their awards after end of Dec.

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I hear the Tsingtao brewery tour there is fun!

6. A oneworld award would be the "cheapest" option of going transatlantic to get to China. You're still looking at 10k miles in distance traveled if you're going, say, ORD-LHR-HKG-TAO, which takes 90k/115k/150k in Y/J/F. That's just to get there, not to get back, while a partner award *roundtrip* to Asia 2 is 110k in J, 135k in F. Keep looking for creative routings transpac. I'm going on an award trip to CMB (also Asia 2) in December, and while I was able to snag ORD-HKG-CMB in CX going there, no HKG-US award space was available in CX coming back, however, I was able to find a reasonable amount of space on AA flights to the US from PEK/PVG/NRT (connecting from HKG on CX).