Can You Request a Standby Flight Online?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Explore, Jan 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's a noob question. My ticketed flight is at 11:55 p.m. tonight. I'm checked in. I want to go standby on a flight around 6:00 p.m. I just made Gold, so that would be fee-free if it comes through.

Can I get on the standby list anytime after check-in, preferably online? If airport only, is that possible up to 24 hours ahead? And how early do I need to show up at the gate to claim possible standby space, or can that be done at the AAdmirals Club?

Thanks......

2. folex386

folex386 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You shouldn't be able to request standby online. Just check in at t-24 and when you get to the airport add yourself to the list. Who knows if its empty the machine might even spit you out a bp. You can check with the AC when you get through security on where you are on the list.

3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would help a lot if you do not have any luggage to check. If you do, then there must be at least 3 hours prior to departure time for you to be allowed to standby...(at least that is the rule I was quote for UA).

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is not the rule for DL. Every airline has its own rules for such things.

To the OP: You should at least investigate how full your desired flight is. If it's already overbooked, you might as well plan around not being able to switch. I would never go to an airport six hours early based on just some hope of getting an earlier flight. A good start would be to call AA.

5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting as I thought this would be a general rule. However, I think that the 3-hr rule might be enforced mainly if one is already traveling, has a connecting flight, but would like to standby or switch an earlier flight. If the luggage was checked in the flight one arrived on, then the rule is that a minimum of 3 hours is required to permit the luggage to be transferred. But I can still see problems even for standing by on an initial flight if one has luggage to check...which plane do they put it in? If it goes into the originally scheduled plane and standby goes through, then they would have to scramble to find the luggage and put it into the correct plane...

I have little experience with this and could use some info, but it occurred to me once. I got into SFO from PEK and had a 6-hr wait before I could take my connecting p.s. to JFK, so I inquired about taking an earlier p.s., which was leaving in 2 hours. It is then that I was told that although seats were available, they could not switch me to the earlier flight because a minimum of 3 hours was required to make a switch if I had checked luggage.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having already checked luggage and having luggage to check, as you said in your post, are completely different scenarios.

7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, what do they do with your luggage to check if you want to standby...keep it limbo until the standby situation clears? There has to be a limit on how long they would wait before the luggage MUST be put into a plane, no?

8. sukn
    Original Member

sukn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm pretty certain that AA will no longer let you stand by if you have checked bags. The rules were changed because standing by with bags somehow impacts AA's lost baggage numbers. Prior to this change, your bags would go on the ticketed flight and you would go on whatever flight you got on.

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes you see bags tagged as standby, which frequently are loaded on the plane at the very end. This is much easier to do, requires less labor, and takes less time than finding a bag that is in the system, giving it a new tag, and putting it on a new flight. Security rules say that you cannot voluntarily separate yourself from your bags, but if the airline separates you from checked bags, for example in IROPs or when they lose your luggage, this is usually OK. No one is required to check in luggage three hours before the flight.

10. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you get on the standby list they'll check your bags for the standby flight as long as it's outside 40 or 45min to departure depending on the airport. If you make the flight great, if not then your bags will be waiting for you at your destination.

11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is a BIG security hole: A passenger cannot knowingly travel separately from his/her bag. If s/he is going to blow up a plane, s/he will have to be on it. If the airline re-routes your bag without your knowing, that is one thing. If you know that this is going to happen, it is a no-no. Tried it and failed every time: There is a plane that is headed earlier toward my destination and it is practically empty; I would like to get on it so that I could get home early, but because my luggage is checked in another plane, I cannot be switched. Why? Because I am asking them to switch me. If they switch me and I have no idea where my luggage is, then that is okay. But if I ask them to switch me, then they would have to transfer my bag into the plane I am being switched to...hence the 3-hr rule: it would give them enough time to make sure that I will travel with my bag...

12. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've done this several times with no issues. Get to the airport..tell the agent I want to standby for an earlier flight...they take my luggage and check them for the flight I want to stanby on. If I don't make the flight my bags are waiting at the baggage dept. It's not a security risk because checked luggage are scanned just like carry on bags.

13. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is fine since it is your initial boarding... but even then, there has to be a time limit since they must load your luggage onto one plane or the other. I had asked that question and I will ask the agent the next time I check in.

When in transit, however, I have never ever been allowed to switch to another plane if it meant that I would knowingly be traveling separetrly from my luggage...Try it. For UA, you must have at least 3 hours before departure to be switched. I was quoted this rule very recently in SFO, so I am almost sure it is still in effect.

14. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's what I'm referring too...the initial bag check. I've never tried to taken from one plane to another so I don't know about that. I don't fly UA, but on AA your bag has to be checked 30/40/45 minutes prior to original departure time depending on the airport. http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/checkingIn/arrivalTimes.jsp

15. AnthonyB1609

AnthonyB1609 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have done this many of times. What I normally do is call the advantage line and ask how many seats are open. And then I determine if I want to chance it. They will take your luggage and it will go on that flight and if you don't make it you can pick it up when you get in at baggage claim. Two weeks ago I was leaving RNO-LAX and they said they have 2 seats left I chanced it because I am plt I thought I was solid but military personal came before I did and got the seats. Last week I went from phx to lax and they had a couple of seats and I made it. I would call and see how many open seats first before you try and make a trip to the airport and get stuck.

16. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This would work because you are just checking in and not already in transit. In fact, at LGA and JFK the cut off time for initial check in if one has luggage to check is, I believe, 30 min for UA (45 min for AA: http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...Location=DirectURL&title=arrivaltimes#checkIn). This is enough time for them to route the luggage properly, and for you, the check in would be "normal" in that it would not seem like you were trying to fly separately from your bags.

17. aamilesslave
    Original Member

aamilesslave Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're right. Think of the children :rolleyes: