Can you pay with e certs and miles?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Linanne, Jun 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Not sure if this should go in this section... Can you pay for a ticket on Delta with vouchers and frequent flyer miles? My husband and I are trying to plan a trip to Italy in the fall of 2012. We each have a $600 voucher that expires in January, a $400 voucher that expires in April, he has 75,736 ff miles, and I have 59,565 ff miles. We have 86,000 starwood points, but I'd like to use those for hotel stays in Italy. I'm planning on booking our tickets 11 months out.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    First of all, before doing anything you should realize that DL's pay with miles scheme, which requires a DL credit card, is generally not a good idea even it isn't subject to the same sort of capacity controls applied to award tickets. Also, even if you use pay with miles for just a small fraction of the cost of the ticket, the entire round trip earns no miles and cannot be upgraded. Be very cautious here. Note also, that if you do decide to use pay with miles, the only advantage to purchasing early would be getting a lower fare, although buying too early is not the best strategy for getting cheap tickets on DL.

Secondly, if you're travelling in off season and have flexibility, think about trying to get one low coach ticket from each account. These begin at 60K miles for TATL and you should be able to get 500 miles into the second account by the time reservations open for the dates you want. Look especially for DL partners, AZ into Italy from the USA, or AF through CDG and KLM through AMS. If partners have award tickets, they must be at low. If necessary, you could use part of the vouchers to pay for any domestic positioning flights, for example, between home and IAD if you take the AF A380 to CDG. If you find only one award ticket, you could use the vouchers to purchase the second ticket for the same itinerary.

viguera likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP. You'll probably get more responses, perhaps from someone who has tried to use vouchers and pay with miles on the same ticket, if this is moved to the DL forum. You can do this by requesting that your thread be moved by using the blue "report" button under your post.

Look at the T&C carefully but your vouchers are probably transferable and can either be combined to purchase one ticket or can be applied toward two tickets on the same itinerary (PNR), meaning that you book two tickets at the same time by indicating that two passengers will be travelling.

4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I posted about my experience with Delta purchasing two tickets and a $400 voucher. I didn't (and wouldn't) pay the balance with miles, but I ended up with two separate transactions. With two vouchers and a bunch of miles on two separate accounts, I'd imagine it's going to take a lot of homework for the OP to find exactly what flights to take, then call Delta on the phone to book.

Shouldn't be fun but I think it's doable.

5. I guess I'm confused about "pay with miles" and award miles. I'm trying to use award miles and vouchers. We'd like to fly business class and we live in Minneapolis.

6. What is the T&C?

7. Thank you, I'll search for your post. I did imagine I'd have to end up on the phone with this one!

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Pay with Miles" is the name of a specific DL FF program feature which says that people having a DL branded AmEx credit card (perhaps other credit cards for those with addresses outside of USA) can choose to use some miles to pay for a ticket that they find through an ordinary revenue ticket booking. If you're eligible, during the purchase process on delta.dumb, a box (IIRC, green) appears and says you can pay with miles for part or all of the ticket price. This is the aspect that many of us consider to be a bad deal for the reasons I gave above, although in a few circumstances, such as orphan miles that one doesn't envision ever growing, it could make sense for someone (although such people are unlikely to have DL AmEx cards and thus be able to use it).

The alternative way to use miles for a ticket is to obtain an award ticket, in which the amount of miles shown in a redemption chart--for DL, low, medium, and high levels--is used to totally pay for the base ticket price and any additional taxes and fees are paid with money. This is the standard FF program feature and what people usually mean when they refer to "free" tickets. Some programs (I'm not sure about DL) allow people to use vouchers to pay for these taxes and fees.

Finally, many FF programs permit the use of miles to upgrade a ticket paid with money. DL does this too, but the fare classes required for the paid ticket are restricted and there must be upgrade inventory in the right bucket available.

viguera likes this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Terms and Conditions: the fine print rules of a program (SkyMiles, DL's FF program) or some particular instrument or promo (such as a voucher, ecert, or bonus miles offer).

10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know of a single person that owns a Delta AmEx card. Maybe if they signed up by mistake, I suppose. :)

Delta offers miles & cash on their vacation packages as well, the same as AA, even if you don't have a Delta card. I'm not sure when this started but I remember it wasn't an option before. They have the same redemption rate, where 10k miles knocks off $100 off the price of a vacation. Not a bad deal if you have a ton of orphan Delta miles and nothing to do with them. Caveat of course being that you can only use it for a full vacation, not just the flight cost.

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    A bunch of DL FFs have them for the status miles (Plat and Reserve card based on spend ad well as sign up bonuses of status as well as bonus miles) and even the (Reserve card) minor upgrade priority.