Can you inherit the miles of a deceased family member?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Jollyhelodriver, Jan 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Jollyhelodriver

Jollyhelodriver Active Member

Status Points:
    can you inherit the miles of a deceased family member. ? If so what is the procedure?

Kalboz and jmjgp12 like this.
  2. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    One suggestion I can make, if you know that person's log in info just redeem his miles for your flights.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  3. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe some airlines allow it but you should call them and find out. If they won't let you then just do as foxberg says and redeem them.

4. Jollyhelodriver

Status Points:
    Thank you. That one I figured but as the Executor of his estate I am trying to find a way to distribute the miles if it is possible.

5. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind that airlines might charge you for transferring miles to other accounts.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Before alerting the airline to the death, find out their policies.

Even if you don't know the password, if you know the FF number (should be in documents and receipts if you can't find a wallet card) and have access to the person's email, it should be easy to get a new password.

hulagrrl210 and IDGflygirl like this.
  7. Jollyhelodriver

Status Points:
    I called Mileage plus and all have to do is fill out a form and pay $75 and the miles will be transferred. thanks for the input. this way it is done and don't have to worry about expiration date. Figured it worth asking but finally called. Now we know for sure. thanks for responding.

8. jmjgp12

jmjgp12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone have any knowledge of AA's policy for this same type of situation. Thanks!

9. Jollyhelodriver

Status Points:
    I know United said they would do this on a selected basis but that miles are not property of the traveler and theoretically expire upon death. that being said they have a form to fill out and a charge to gt these transferred so they must not be to selective. I would recommend the call to their reward group and ask in a general question. I did it as being the executor of the will and trying to find what their procedure is. United was very helpful. They emailed me the forms with a nice condolence note almost before I hung up. Good luck

IDGflygirl and jmjgp12 like this.
  10. jmjgp12

jmjgp12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for your reply and the info !

Counsellor likes this.
  11. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    A few years ago DL transferred my deceased mother-in-law's miles into her husband's account with no fee. There was a timeframe post death that we had to meet to make it happen. But also agreed that the easiest is to just redeem the miles from the deceased account.

12. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    When my spouse died the miles were really negligible so I went to the Shopping Mall and ended up with subscriptions to about 30 magazines. :)

13. tarheelblue
    Original Member

tarheelblue Silver Member

Status Points:
    As our family has had to deal with this question, I can give you a short summary of what I've found after phone calls to some of the major carriers. Listed below is what each airline told me was required to transfer the miles. Documentation requirements vary, but if it's not here, then they told me it's not needed. Unless otherwise indicated, the affidavit can be a document written by the family instructing the airline on how to disburse the points. Only United charged a fee for inheritance of points. Only US indicated that the recipients had to be beneficiaries.

UA: Affidavit from Executor (must be obtained by a phone call to UA), Death certificate, points distributed per instructions of executor (can be multiple recipients), $75 fee per recipient
    AA: Affidavit from any one of the beneficiaries (haven't seen the form, unsure if it has to be notarized), death certificate, points will be distributed per instructions of the beneficiary (can be multiple recipients), no charge
    Delta: Notarized affidavit from Executor (form found at http://images.delta.com/delta/pdfs/affidavit.pdf), points distributed per instructions of executor (can be multiple recipients), death certificate, no charge
    US: Affidavit from all beneficiaries, death certificate, page(s) of the will showing beneficiaries, no charge. Only beneficiaries can receive points, however one beneficiary can disclaim his/her share to the other(s) with a notarized disclaimer of interest
    Southwest: No transfer

All of the above is based on one phone call to each airline. I would highly recommend calling the airline before you start the process, and double-check that the information above is indeed accurate. As they say, YMMV.

14. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just read something about this recently but can't find the article online.

Here's an older one from the WSJ
    I remember at one time Delta informed me that they would only allow transfer upon death if the SkyMiles account number is specifically listed in the Will.

Kalboz likes this.
  15. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Figured deceased FF holders would be like deceased NY Giants season ticket holders who never really die! I think some of them might be 150 years old!

16. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Here's a great recap of the topic covered by InsideFlyer magazine. As well, there will be a new article soon coming out by Reuter's which we helped them with as well.

Death, Divorce and Miles

miles and smiles likes this.