Can you Increase Your Odds of Becoming a Target?

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by knick1959, Dec 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. knick1959

knick1959 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently heard of an offer for one of the AMEX business cards that sounded great. However, it was a "targetted" offer, and I wasn't targetted.

I've got one of these on my hit list for next year, if a decent offer comes around again. This offer would have done it, and my reasons for waiting until next year (meeting the spending on my Ink card) is no longer valid - it's done.

From AMEX, I have ONLY a BlueBird card. Other than that, they don't know me. Is there some documented methodology for increasing your odds of getting on their hit list? How do I screem "Me!! Me!!" to them?

Thanks in advance.

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    simple answer ... who knows. More thoughtful answer ... get an Amex card and spends money on it. The more they know about you the higher chance they'll offer you something

malikguy and jbcarioca like this.
  3. knick1959

knick1959 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reply. I just don't think it's that simple. I can get an AMEX card, sure. But does this mark me as a potential business card customer? I've been a Chase customer for many years (Bank One since the early 80's) and have passed gobs and gobs of money through them. Did they send me any offers for there Ink card ever, or any other business glossies? Nope.

I could announce my potential to AMEX as a business customer by getting the very card that I want, but that defeats the purpose of trying to get targetted!

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do they know you're an authorized officer of a business?

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Get a business card, any business card from anywhere. Once that's done charge T&E expense to your American Express with a decent amount of office supplies thrown in. A year or so later and you'll be getting your offers, probably. A faster way to is call American Express business card services, tell them what you have and plead. If you're a good customer taht can work. No guarantees, but it will cost you nothing other than a little time.

miles and smiles and edekba like this.
  6. knick1959

knick1959 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah, the direct approach - calling them! Seems obvious, but it wasn't really something I thought of. Can't hurt.

I did go a little googling (perhaps I should have done that before posting here ... well, it's worthwhile to get more opinions, I think). There was some unusable info, but then I found one very helpful article. I had missed it ... it's way down at the bottom of the AMEX home page, but you can go to both personal and/or business card links, then click on "show me my offers". You are then asked for your name, zip code and EMAIL ADDRESS! I was not interested in the default offers then displayed. However, AMEX should now know about me and know that I'm looking around. For both a personal AND business card.

I'll wait a short while to see if they email ME ... and then I'll go ahead and call w/my grovel on ...

For the record, here is the page I thought was very helpful:
    http://travelsort.com/blog/how-to-get-targeted-for-100000-credit-card-bonus-offers

Thanks for all replies.

jbcarioca and miles and smiles like this.
  7. knick1959

knick1959 Silver Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca likes this.
  8. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like jbcarioca said, get a business card with any credit card company and then you will get more business credit card offers from other companies. It worked that way with me (and I wasn't trying to get offers).

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. knick1959

knick1959 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've got the Ink card, but it's still relatively new ... I'm well under my 3 months; just 2 I think.

But this seems unnatural to me. How would AMEX find out I've got a Chase business card? Chase wouldn't willingly share their customer list with competitors, would they? And the card does not appear on the credit report from what I can tell. Perhaps the credit agencies sell lists of new business accounts to banks? That might make some sense.

Well, if that's the correct path, I've already done what I can for now. We'll see. Thanks!

jbcarioca and miles and smiles like this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whether the card is reported to consumer or business CRA's it will end out being reported so other issuers will know about it. It usually takes a few months before other issuers begin to solicit you.

miles and smiles likes this.
  11. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Knick1959,
    Good luck. I am always amazed at the arbitrary and capricious nature of the credit card industry and most credit card offers. I know lifelong businessmen and customers with great credit who never receive such lucrative offers.

12. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had the SPG biz card for a few years and have yet to receive solicitations for business cards. I moved to the SW business card last year. In general I (only) charge about $300/month on it – legitimate technology/web hosting related charges.

13. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    The low monthly spend could be why you are not getting any targeted offers. The more you spend, the more offers come rolling your way. At least that's been the case for me. YMMV.

iolaire likes this.
  14. knick1959

knick1959 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, it's been 3 weeks since I originally posted. I still don't have an AMEX card, but I'm not really in a hurry and am more interested in getting one with a juicy signup bonus than to just get one.

I have visited the AMEX site about once a week since reading the articles I referenced above. Each time I ask to see offers available to me, each time I only see offers with no signup bonuses at all. I've also asked to receive offers via their personal and business web pages each time. The good news is that I've received 2 offers via email since. The bad news is that, again, there is no mention of any signup points in either. I do feel I'm making some progress just getting these; at least they now know I exist! But I'm holding out for a better AMEX and/or SPG offer to appear before I bite.

iolaire likes this.