Can you get bumped to an earlier flight?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by adambadam, Jun 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Title pretty much says it all. Suppose to be going out on a ps flight tomorrow that is completely zeroed out. It is the 4 o'clock and thus the last flight before the red eye. I am kind of hoping to score a VDB (as the upgrade is looking very bleak at the moment) though curious if it is possible to somehow VDB to an earlier flight. Obviously I can standby which is theoretically another option.

2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    VDBs are normally processed at the last possible moment, and any earlier flight would have departed by then. Airlines prefer to not give out compensation unless they need to.

3. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah that is what I kind of figured. I guess the airline has their fingers crossed that they get lots of no shows or that they never oversold to start with.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    There have been situations of severe oversells where the airlines contact passengers in advance and try to move them but those are rare. And remember that 0s doesn't mean they're oversold. They could just stop at "full" if they believe folks are going to show up.

5. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    What's your status? Premier Exec/CO Gold and up get free same-day confirmed change. Just used it yesterday.

6. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only case I've ever managed to pull this off was when the earlier flight was severely delayed to the same (or later) departure time as the flight I'm getting bumped off of.

7. Billiken
    Original Member

Billiken Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've scored a bump to an earlier flight, but only slightly earlier in departure time.
    IIRC a few years ago I was flying CLE-DEN which was oversold.
    Ended up flying CLE-IAH-DEN with the CLE-IAH flight leaving approximately 30 minutes before the CLE-DEN

8. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    If a flight is overbooked and there is another flight departing earlier, check-in agents will generally be advised to suggest the pax move to the earlier flights if whey check in early enough. I've had it suggested at AC that they could get me on an earlier flight if I wanted. If the pax is non-status, the change fee would be waived.

9. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have done it one time when my schedule on later flight to HK was over book, and I asked and got VDB for earlier flight via NRT and get upgrade to C and $400 voucher

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Several years ago (still in the SkyTeam days) I was flying ATL-EWR and the flight was overbooked. I offered the four seats I had if they could move us to the ATL-JFK flight on DL that was scheduled to leave +/- 5 minutes from our booked flight. We took a lower VDB amount (only $100, IIRC) but that was fine as we got home around the same time as scheduled. They were hesitant to push us to DL and give the TCVs but I made the case that we were four seats and it bought them a lot of flexibility.

It can happen, but it is very rare.