Can you collect United Miles (PQM) on a flight you purchased but didn't take?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by travelttime, Sep 15, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. travelttime

travelttime New Member

Status Points:
    I need 3,000 miles to reach my next premier status and I'm trying to find the cheapest way to do that. Therefore, I wondered if I could buy a cheap one-way ticket (that would earn 3,000+ miles), not physically be on the flight, and still be able to earn the miles for the ticket. Does any one know if this would work?

2. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Miles are only credited for flights taken and not for flights purchased.

3. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, but you can book a refundable fare, wait to see the "buy extra PQM" offer, buy the PQMs and then cancel the refundable fare. Lots of tips here and on TOBB about how to do it, but if you need more help, ask here. Do you have enough PQDs?

4. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The PQD's are the key. (Unless you are taking advantage of having the right CC and the PQD waver this year). But, assuming you have enough PQDs the refundable ticket route will work. (Or buy them off a trip you actually plan on taking)

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

5. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also, note that the purchased PQMs are not priced at a constant throughout the year. As year-end approaches, the law of supply and demand may bite you in the butt, so if you know you'll need 'em, buy 'em now.

Garp74, WilliamQ and Photonerd71 like this.