Can you claim points from two loyalty schemes for the same flight?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by julia.joseph, Jun 5, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. julia.joseph

julia.joseph New Member

Status Points:
    Or do you have to choose?
    For example - if I flew from London to Tokyo with Jal, would I have to choose which loyalty scheme to use? Or could I claim both Avios and Fly on program points?

If I have to choose, which program is more rewarding?

Thanks all!

2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    LETTERBOY likes this.
  3. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    You have to choose.

I'm not sure which I'd pick - my usual first criterion is "in which program do I want to qualify for elite status?" Are there any fast track programs that would help?

Beyond that, I'd likely accumulate in a program where I already have a balance (up to a certain point, consolidation is very useful), and I'd look at whether the fare class of my ticket would earn full miles or not in the different programs. Avios certainly have some utility. So do AA miles. I don't know about JAL Mileage Bank (FLY ON is the name of their elite status program, but the basic miles are JMB).

LETTERBOY likes this.
  4. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    To work out how many Avios and Tier Points you'll get for your JAL flight, if you were to credit it to the BA Executive Club, you're best off knowing which booking class you're booked in - particularly if you're booked in economy.

To find that out, try looking at your printed itinerary. Or go to JAL's website and pull up your booking to see whether the booking class is stated there. What you're looking for is a single letter - "economy" won't be enough.

Then you need to look up the earning chart on ba.com. It's on this page - http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/executive-club/collecting-avios/flights - where you need to scroll down to the JAL section and click on the "Collecting with Japan Airlines" link, which will bring up a pop-up. (The non-pretty version of the data is here: http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...cting-avios/flights/jal-collecting-avios.html).

You then need to match your booking class to the correct group to find out how many Avios you'll earn. In economy, it could be 0% (if ineligible), 30% (lowest), 50% (discounted), 70% (discounted flexible) or 100% (fully flexible) of the flown miles. Then you can use the calculator on this page - http://www.britishairways.com/travel/flight-calculator/public/en_gb - to find out the exact number that BA will award you, if you select the correct group of booking classes.

LETTERBOY, rwoman and traveltoomuch like this.
  5. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only way of which I know to claim frequent flier loyalty program miles from two separate frequent flier loyalty programs is if you were assigned to a flight operated by a different airline as a result of irregular operations; and you apply for original routing credit from the airline on which you were supposed to be a passenger.

Counsellor likes this.