Can you change the class and date on AA award tickets?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by traveler, Mar 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK, I think on AA award tickets you can change the date as long as the departure and arrival airports remain the same. Can you also upgrade the class and date buy just paying the miles difference? I have a 2 one way economy awards tickets back to SFO from UIO and I might want to extend the trip a week. As of now there are onlyBusiness/FirstMileSAAver* and I dont mind paying the miles difference for the upgrade. Is this do able and will there be fees? Thanks for any advice!!

TheTravelAbstract likes this.
  2. jasher926

jasher926 Silver Member

Status Points:
    EXPs can do anything with their awards for no fee. However, I believe everyone else can only 1) upgrade the award for the difference in miles and 2) change the dates as long as the origin/destination are the same up to a year out for no fee.

3. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did you get economy milesAAver or AAnytime? That would be a big chunk of cash to pay for changing but still cheaper than buying a revenue ticket.

I just wrote up about my experience with US Carrier Award Flight Service Fees and how much they cost.

I hope that helps.

traveler likes this.
  4. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was on an award ticket in coach a few years ago when I got sick. I had to delay my flight by a day, and the only availability was in first. I was charged the extra miles, but I don't remember being charged any fee. YMMV.

5. FLYERIL
    Original Member

FLYERIL Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have upgraded an economy ticket to first class with only the differnece in miles. It was the same flight and it was more than 30 days before the flight. I believe that American will allow you to do what you are asking; however, there might be a fee because it is less than 21 days (unsure).

6. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    $75 fee. not too bad.

jmjgp12 and traveler like this.
  7. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the replies. I am not able to schedule this at this time, but if award space is still available as time grows close I will give it a try! Thanks MILEPOINT :D

jmjgp12 likes this.
  8. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can I change the date on an award beyond 1 year from when it was originally booked? I'm asking because I have a distance based award in August and it would be less complex to deal with if I was to push it to February 2015, but I booked it in November 2013.

For some reason I think it must be completed within 1 year of booking, but I don't see reference to that?

9. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    iolaire likes this.
  10. ariosto

ariosto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just changed on AA a 1 way from Shanghai to FLL from economy AAnytime 70K to first as a first/milesaver (67.5k miles) opened up so I had to pay $150 reinstatement fee but can beat that we now have 2 seats first in July as we are 4 pax. ;)