Can You Book Infant Seats using Miles?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by lrluis, Jan 14, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. lrluis

lrluis Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it possible to book Infant Seats on a partner carrier using miles?

I'm trying to plan a trip to Dubai on Cathay, but I know that Cathay charges an infant fee on their flights. I'm looking to use my AA miles for the trip.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Generally, no. And for the specific set you've described, no.

I seem to remember reading about a couple airlines which do allow it, but none of them are CX or AA as I recall.

lrluis likes this.
  3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Couldn't you just book a seat for the infant using miles? Although this may not be cost effective.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also remember at least one airline that allows this, but I don't remember which program.

Any international trip requires a lap infant ticket. It's usually 10% of the adult fare in that cabin (which fare seems to be a big issue that's not treated consistently) plus all taxes and fees, but at least one airline charges 25%. I don't know the airline but it might be CX; I remember it being a good Asian carrier.

One can always use miles to get a regular seat for the kid, but FF programs don't offer child fares although a few carriers still do for tickets paid with money.

5. Nelumbo
    Original Member

Nelumbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    a laptop infant award at 10% of miles (plus taxes and fees) required for an adult award is bookable with BA Avios.

lrluis likes this.
  6. lrluis

lrluis Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do have enough miles for it but I'd only do it if it were my last resort.

Oh sweet - yes, you're right. After some more digging, I found that this topic was covered by a Boarding Area blogger already: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2014/09/17/infant-award-travel/

Thanks, Ben.