Can you book/check into different SPG properties at the same time?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by edekba, Apr 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I'm running into a situation where I would like to book two stays concurrently.

One stay would be in the City (myself) and one would be by the airport (Parents). They like staying away from the city ... but I would like to stay in the thick of things.

Would I get stay/night credit for both? one? none? How would that go about

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    You need to be physically present at each hotel during the check-in. After that there's no minimum amount of time that you're required to remain in your room, AFAIK. Even if both of your rooms are empty the whole time, you should still be entitled to the stay credit. Make sure you tell the airport hotel that your parents will also use the room (it might have to be rated to accomodate 3 ppl).

edekba likes this.
  3. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can earn stay/night credit for two rooms, but AFAIK they have to be at same hotel not two different hotel locations.

Normally two different hotels on the same night wouldn't count as two stays unless you get lucky with the front desk posting manually based on my past experiences.

Can someone else clarify if I'm misunderstanding the rules?

edekba likes this.
  4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    So does their computer system actually block the credit on the second check-in? Seems odd that would be built into the system. If you pay for 'x' number of rooms, you should receive the credit.

5. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting case of multiple personality disorder..... :D

6. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    There was a recent thread on FT where the guest had a one week stay in one property and in the middle of the stay needed a room in another city for 12 hours. SPG denied him the points and the stay credit for the week long stay. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star...otel-stays-one-night-but-credit-only-one.html .

Per the conversation, you are not supposed to get 2 stay credits or points on stays at the same night at 2 different properties.

Of course, it has worked for some people in the past.

LETTERBOY and edekba like this.
  7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is one scenario I can think of ( and have gotten credit .. by calling in and giving a simple explanation) is if one stays at a day rate then flies to another city and checks in on the same date.. since that is not the above case the example is moot.

BYW there is nothing in the SPG system "blocking" a member from checking in to multiple properties just as there nothing blocking you from checking into the sample property multiple times.

This is one area where HH is ( to some extent) superior to SPG the OP's plan to get day and stay credit would be granted to HH mutual account members.

edekba likes this.
  8. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I guess I will just book an SPG for me then do a Hyatt/Hilton for my parents.

I really don't want to be in the same hotel as our parents for our Wedding ;)

marcwint55 and MX like this.
  9. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    does that mean you did not invite them on the honeymoon?

edekba likes this.
  10. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOL

marcwint55 likes this.
  11. rockyrock

rockyrock Silver Member

Status Points:
    So what I gathered from this thread is if I have two rooms at the same property I can get credit for both of them? I have a stay coming up and I convinced my buddy to let me book the rooms in my name.:cool: He doesn't do points :eek: I'll be using my Amex SPG so it will be 2x on the 5x!